honey | m. tkachuk

Beginne am Anfang

He needed Y/N's attention like he was an addict and she was his favourite choice of drug.

The woman paused for a moment, her shoulders slacking as her gaze traveled to the ceiling in thought. "Hmmm.... You can't go wrong with tea and honey?" She suggested.

Matthew hated Honey. And he wasn't really a tea person either. But he found himself agreeing just to make Y/N happy. As he paid with his car, he left her a generous tip- watching as she floated to the back of the kitchen to make his drink.

She was light on her feet, skillful in her motions- she was either experienced or a natural, and seeing as though had never seen her work there before, he was leaning towards the latter.

A lady behind him had walked up to the counter to receive her order, Matthew''s usual barista handing a cup of coffee over. "Daniel-" Matthew spoke up quickly, grabbing his attention. "Who is the new girl?" He asked.

Daniel grinned, dark brown hair falling into his eyes as he continued making cups of coffee. "You mean Y/N? Yeah she's a grad student from Edmonton- Today's her first day." He admitted.

Matthew couldn't believe it. This was her first day? It seemed like she had been running the place for years. "She staying?" He asked.

Daniel smirked. "Why? Do you want her to?" He chuckled. The man nodded. "I suppose that's up to her, but given her performance I don't see any reason why we would want her to leave." He hummed. "You know if you wanted to ask her out, she is single." He mentioned, giving Matthew a wink before disappearing back to the counter.

Y/N appeared holding a white styrofoam cup and a paper bag. "One tea with honey- and don't tell anyone I did this, but I scabbed a danish for you- I made them this morning and I thought they would go well with your tea." She grinned, proud of herself as she passed him his order.

Matthew smiled. "Any reason they go well?" He questioned.

The girl chuckled. "It's got honey in it too- it'll match the sweetness." She winked.

While he was anticipating the overly sweet taste that morning on the way to the arena, he found himself delighted by the balance of salt and sugar in his pastry- the warm tea making him want to curl up in bed for another few hours.

It was plain to see that as he pulled up to practice that day, he had a certain pep in his step. That morning was the beginning of something great- and just as sweet as the girl from the cafe.

Overtime, matthew was able to insert himself into the woman's life, and thus welcome her into his own.  Since meeting her,  she had become a very easy moment in his days of stress and work. 

Of course he had friends of his own, but setting up plans with YN and being able to see her after a tough loss was something serene/ She just had this warm ability about her that made anyone around her feel safe.

Which is why after knowing Y/N for a year, he had asked her if she wanted to go on a date. He didn't want to rush things with Y/N for fear of messing them up. Because if he lost her, then that would take quite the toll on him.

It was one of those nights were Matthew was late getting out of the arena. They had an evening practice ahead of their roadie coming up and He just needed some TLC. Matthew's shoulders ached and groaned as he pulled his car door open- his body not having felt this sore in quite a while. 

He was driving along the highway when his phone started ringing. Pressing the bluetooth accept button on his centre console. His speakers connected to his phone- the call echoing loud and clear.