drunk words are sober thoughts | t. jost

Summary: Y/N has grabbed the attention of Colorado avalanche player, Tyson Jost. But as they head out to a bar to celebrate the most recent win, someone else has their eye on her too. Jealousy and fluff ensues.

Requested: YES

From Prompt List: 3 and 15

The cold streets of Colorado seemed to be a stark contrast to the atmosphere inside the bar. A mixture of cigarette smoke and old wood flooring made up the smells inside, The bar was covered in a sticky layer of various alcohols that had been spilt through the night. It was Game day and the local hockey team was coming straight off a 8-4 win. The bar was filled with players and their friends, taking residence at the local pub to celebrate their victory.

While the guys made their rounds and mingled, one in particular was keeping to himself, leaning against the brick wall in the corner and sipping from his beer. It would have been assumed that he was preoccupied with his phone or just looking around and waiting for his friends- but that wasn't the case. Tyson had been watching her all night.

From the way she ran her fingers through her hair when she walked towards the group after the game, to the slight trip she had walking to the bar- Every single thing she did had Tyson's attention captured. He wasn't being a creep at all, at least he hoped he wasn't. The man had been slowly coming to terms with his feelings for this girl who had suddenly become apart of their friend group one night.

Y/N wasn't the usual WAG. She didn't have the stereotypical look and she didn't have a connection to any of the players. The woman was a friend of one the wives and they had brought her along to a game one night. After getting along with the group so well, her appearance had started to become more noticeable- the guys inviting her out on their own accord until finally it was just expected for her to be in attendance.

Over time, Tyson had started to get to know the woman. Someone could have asked him what her favourite food was and he would probably have an answer. The two of them were like peas in a pod- going out of their way to make time for coffee and movie nights, but they were never officially called dates.

In Tyson's mind, he didn't think Y/N could ever see him that way. They were just friends- at least that was what he told everyone who asked. But even the other guys could see that there was something more between them, and it was reciprocated. The wives had been doing their best to put the two together but Y/N was adamant that Tyson wasn't interested. They blamed it on him being shy, but the girl was defiant and didn't want to get her hopes up.

Dancing in the middle of the floor with a couple of the guys and their wives- Y/N looked like she was in her own world, she controlled the dance floor- with the way she moved her hips and stepped around fluidly, it was amazing and held a hint of grace, even if they were dancing to one of the most sexual songs Tyson had heard in years. He wanted to go see her, maybe finally make a move, but as some stranger walked onto the floor and took his place, he frowned and stared into his cup.

As much as Tyson didn't want to see the girl he liked dancing with someone else, he didn't like the way this guy looked- he was greasy and dirty and something about him just let off a bad vibe. From the way he moved to grip Y/N's hips and how close he pressed himself to her- it lit a fire in the hockey player's stomach and he couldn't ignore it. He wanted to give Y/N the benefit of the doubt, Maybe she enjoyed the attention this man was giving her- but as soon as Tyson saw a flash of worry and panic spread through the girl's face, he straightened out.

The man took a deep breath and swallowed his beer down in one gulp, throwing the cup in the trash as he pushed himself off the wall- rolling his sleeves up to his elbows, he did his best to make himself look bigger, puffing out his chest and clenching his jaw. Most of the time Tyson looked very soft and happy, but as his eyes hardened into a glare and he stood to his full height- he looked scary and intimidating.

"Alright man- thats enough." He walked between Y/N and the stranger, pressing his hand to the man's shoulder and separating him from the girl. He was met with some resistance and arrogance, Y/N moving behind Tyson and watching as everything played out- The last thing they needed was for Tyson's picture to be on the internet and newspapers saying he got into a bar fight.

After some protest from the guy, Tyson had drawn the attention of the rest of the team- J.T, Matt and Nathan being just a select few that had come over to see what's going on. The manpower behind him was enough to make the stranger throw his hands up in defeat and stomp off- heading out of the bar and off to god knows where.

Everyone returned to the party as Tyson accompanied Y/N to the bar- ordering a round of drinks. "Thanks- Honestly I didn't know who that guy was..." she sighed, leaning against the counter, she looked up at the man and moved a bit closer. "You looked so scary- I don't think I've ever seen you like that." She chuckled, even at the games she had never seen Tyson look so intimidating and hard.

Scratching his beard, the man shrugged it off. "I didn't like the way he was looking at you- he was being disrespectful and you looked like you needed help." He tried to play it off as cool as possible. Things were playing in his favour right now, she was thankful for him and liked what he did- maybe tonight could be the night he finally made his move!

The woman's eyes softened and her lips quirked up into a grin. "Sounds like someone is jealous." She teased- upon hearing no response from Tyson who had froze in his seat, she took in the glance of shock on his face. "Oh my god- You're totally jealous!" She slapped his arm playfully in surprise.

Tyson's cheeks flamed as he heard the girl laugh, was she laughing at him? Looking at her nervously, the hockey player chuckled awkwardly. "No I mean- I just... Im just drunk." He tried to defend himself. But the girl wasn't having it, playing her hand on his bicep, she moved closer and lowered her voice.

There was no space left between them as she moved under his arm, his hand finding her waist as she whispered in his ear. "Drunk words are sober thoughts... Plus- I thought I was dancing with you." She clarified for him. The man's eyes widened and his lips stretched into a smile- "Really?" He asked hopefully.

Chuckling, Y/N intertwined their hands and nodded. "I thought you finally made a move." She quipped. Turning so that he was fully facing her, Tyson grinned cheekily. "So is this the part where we kiss?" He asked- fingers toying with the material of her shirt.

The woman stood on her tip toes and reached up, one hand behind his neck as she pulled him towards her. "That can be arranged." Their lips met and the kiss was soft- the voices of Tyson's teammates and their wives cheering in the background fading away behind them.