coffee | n. patrick

summary: softboy!nolan featuring a sunrise and domestic fluff

Requested: No

Mornings were often the best part of Nolan's day. There was nothing like waking up after a great night's sleep and feeling a warm presence next to him. To wake up and not feel alone, it was unlike anything he had ever experienced before.

When Y/N had first come into his life, Nolan was extremely hesitant to let her stay the night at his apartment. Not because there was anything wrong with her, but he was very aware of how he slept. He snored and moved around a lot. He kicked the blankets and often thrashed around in his sleep.

In his mind, it gave him an underlying fear that if he slept in the same bed as Y/N, he would end up hurting her, or annoying him to the point where she didn't want to go forward in their relationship. He had sent the night at her place plenty of times, always sleeping on the couch and preparing any damage he made through the night, the next morning before his girlfriend woke.

They finally got over that barrier in their relationship during their first Christmas together. Y/N's family had come to her apartment to visit and set up Ain air mattress in the living room. Her little cousin was sleeping on the couch which meant Nolan's 'bed' was unavailable for the weekend.

"You know I can just head home." Nolan told her, he was leaning against her bedroom door watching as she got ready for bed. Pulling on one of his many t-shirts that she had 'borrowed' through their few months together. The hockey player couldn't help but notice how his girlfriend rolled her eyes.

"You're not driving, you've been working tirelessly on the ice lately, not to mention you just spent the last six hours partying with me and my family after having a game." She pointed her toothbrush at him after spitting in the sink. "You're too tired to drive." She determined.

Nolan sighed but nodded. "Alright- I'm sleeping on the floor then." He told her. A look of offence crossed Y/N's face and she immediately recoiled from him.

"Do you not want to sleep In the same bed with me?" She asked him. There was a pout forming on her lips and she immediately felt like something might be wrong with her. Every time they were at his house, he always carried her to bed and slept in the guest room or on the couch.

Nolan immediately back tracked, raising his hands defensively. "No! I mean yes!" He slapped his forehead. "I just mean- I kick and stuff... I'm not a good sleeper." he sighed. "I don't want to ruin your rest..." he mumbled.

Y/N giggled softly. "Nolan-I promise you, you're not going to wake me up." She reassured him. "I literally sleep like the dead- there is no way in hell you're going to wake me up." She promised.

Nolan let out a chuckle as he felt relief wash over him. That night was a turning point in their relationship.

Ever since then, Nolan had been taking every opportunity to stay the night or have Y/N stay the night. He woke up the next morning and felt his life change forever.

There was no better sight than rolling over and seeing the curve of Y/N's body lying under the sheets. The dip of her hips that shifted when a chill washed over her skin, her lips always parted with little breaths when she was asleep= she looked beyond peaceful. It was beautiful.

On the rare instance that Y/N woke up before he did, Nolan found happiness in the smell of freshly brewed coffee, on Sunday mornings, a scent of French toast always wafted through the apartment, the golden sun radiated in through the windows and cascaded against the walls.

He would let his hands press into the cotton sheets that were traded for flannel ones in the winter, feelings the material underneath his fingertips as he reached out for a body that was no longer there. As he overcame the weight behind his eyes, he climbed out of bed and padded across the cold wooden floors towards the kitchen.

His eyes settled on his favourite sight of the dad. Y/N's figure. Sometimes he was wearing one of hoodies or t-shirts, other times she was already dressed for work or whatever her day held for her. The same sunlight that reflected off the walls, came through the south facing windows and soaked into her skin- giving her a warm glow. He could sit at the counter and just watch her for hours.

Y/N's back was usually facing him, she was too preoccupied in preparing breakfast or a pot of coffee to notice him, not that he cared. The moments in which she was lost in thought gave him the change to remember every detail about her. From the imperfections in her skin to the wave of the curls she had put into her hair that moment.

He found himself paying attention to the texture of her hair as well, other it be smooth and thin, or coarse and thick- he was enraptured by her beauty.

And when she finally turned around to give him a soft spoken 'good morning' he felt his heart burst. The curve of her lips were perfect and the way she said his name felt like heaven. He responded with a half-looped smile that reminded him of a teenager in love.

They shared breakfast in the dining room, sitting in front of the window that overlooked the city taking in one another's company. It was the perfect balance.

And when he left for practice or she left for work, Nolan found himself counting down the seconds until he was able to wake up next to her again.

Ready to do it all again.