in plain sight | m. marner

Summary: an argument between two best friends leads to some heartfelt confessions

Based on prompts 1 and 15 from 'Prompt list 2.0'

The last place Y/N wanted to be on spring break was at her best friend's apartment, surrounded by the smell of weed, body door and alcohol. She had thousands of questions she could be doing for homework, but somehow Mitch had convinced her to come hang out with him at the party he was throwing.

Sitting on his living room couch, the girl was nursing a red solo cup that was filled with water- she wasn't in the mood to drink and the longer she stayed in the maple leafs player's apartment- the more she started to get stressed out. She wasn't sure that being here was a good idea.

Y/N had come to the conclusion long ago that she was in love with her best friend- they had been friends for the majority of her life and although she had dated a few guys here and there, nothing was ever serious- it wasn't evident until about three months ago- but the girl realized that she had been comparing all of her exes to Mitch. They weren't good enough, they couldn't compare to him- so she broke it off and settled for being single.

Mitch's rowdy laughter carried through the house. He was in the middle of the living room dancing along with a couple of blondes and his teammates- they were definitely better at partying that Y/N was. She would have preferred staying cooped up in her apartment, maybe watching a movie or FaceTiming her mom. But Mitch took it upon himself to drag her out of her study session. "Its spring break! Hear that? BREAK- you need to get out and live a little." He knew that the girl was stressed about passing all of her classes, but one night to relax wouldn't hurt her.

Staring at the liquid in her cup, Y/N pouted- she knew that she could never compete with the girl's hanging around Mitch. She didn't really look like a stereotypical WAG. There was nothing wrong with that, but she didn't really have all the designer clothes and money like they did- Obviously Mitch didn't care about that stuff, but Y/N couldn't get past the idea of him only seeing her as a best friend- maybe even little sister.

The thought horrified Y/N and she prayed that she was no where near close to being called a sister in Mitch's mind.

As if he noticed her drowning in her own self pity, Matthew Barzal, a player from the New York islanders, walked over and plopped down on the couch next to her. "Why the long face?" He asked, chuckling softly as he wrapped his arm around the girl. The two were rather civil- having met a few times here and there at events and parties- usually thrown by Mitch- He had become a rather good friend of Y/N's over the last year.

They flirted back and forth and when Y/N was in New York, she often made special trips to Long Island to meet with him. Every time the Toronto maple leafs went to New York- Y/N would tag along and stop at brazil's place for the afternoon. Nothing her gaze travel towards Mitch, the man sighed softly. "He's pretty dumb if you ask me... Doesn't know what a good thing is- even if it hit him in the face." He chuckled- bumping the girl's shoulder causing her to chuckle.

Taking her cup, Mat smelled it- realizing it was only water, he shook his head. "Nope- you need to drink something, here come with me- lets go get something and start having fun." Mat knew that he could easily have his fair pick of women for the night, but his friend was hurting and he wanted to spend time with her.

He wasn't really one to settle down, but if he was going to- his first pick would be Y/N. Little did Y/N know, Mat had a plan- he had heard from some of the maple leafs that Marner had feelings for Y/N and he was struggling to confess. What better way to get Mitch to bite to bullet and confess his feelings, than to get him jealous?

Following Mat around like a lost puppy, Y/N couldn't help but pout- she wanted to tell Mitch how she felt, but she wasn't sure if he felt the same- and the last thing she wanted to do was have their friendship of 6 years thrown away over a stupid crush.

The pair linked hands and pushed their way into the kitchen, past the sea of bodies. Mat was filling the girl's cup with something stronger, some vodka and pink lemonade. His own rendition of a pink Whitney. Taking a sip, Y/N almost choked. It was a harsh switch from the water she had been drinking all night.

After convincing her to take a few shots, Mat led Y/N onto the dance floor. They swayed back and forth to some pop song and jumped around, mat placing his hands on Y/N's waist and moving his hips against hers. The two of them looked like a couple- they were getting the attention of everyone at the party- including Mitch.

Clenching his jaw, The brunette huffed towards Auston, the two of them in the corner of the house- watching and Y/N seemed to be having a great time. "Since when are Barzal and Y/N a thing?" He grumbled, swallowing the rest of his beer. He crossed her arms and glared towards the scene. Auston smirked, he was in on the whole plan to get the two together- he had actually be the one to help come up with the plan.

"They're not, but Mat plans on making a move at the end of the night." He lied. It was enough to get Mitch off his ass and walking through the apartment to the pair. Pushing through the crowd of people in his house- he sighed bitterly. He wasn't about to miss his chance at having Y/N all to himself.

Y/N was draping her arms around mat's shoulder, throwing back a laugh when Mitch walked up- gripping her wrist and pulling her away from him. "I need to borrow her." He mumbled quickly, not even giving either of them the chance to dispute. Before long, Y/N was being pulled into the back bedroom, Mitch slamming the door and crossing his arms. "Why are you hanging all over Barzy?" He accused, his tone was filled with hatred- and it took Y/N a second to catch up.

"What? Im literally dancing with him- are you serious?" She was appalled at the fact he was basically accusing her of leeching off him. Shaking her head, she sat down on his bed and frowned. "You dragged me to this stupid party and left me alone- didn't want to be here." She reminded him. "You said have fun- thats what im doing!"

Mitch glared. "Thats not what I meant Y/N. I wanted you to come with me- not Mat." He scoffed. Y/N swallowed harshly.

Walking towards the door, she didn't think that was an argument worth having. "I got tired of waiting around Mitch- Its so obvious that I love you, yet you would rather hang out with girls that only care about the fact that you play hockey." Just as she opened the door, Mitch stormed over, slamming it shut and cornering her between his arms.

His eyes were wide. "Wait- you love me?" He stopped her, holding her close and looking at her hopefully. Biting her lip, Y/N looked down- trying to avoid his gaze. "Its kind of obvious..." she mumbled. "Its fine- I'm not what you want." She sighed. The girl had accepted that she wasn't his type.

A smile stretched across Mitch's face, he lifted her chin and tilted his head to the side. Capturing her lips in a kiss- he poured all his emotions into it- the girl stiffening for only a moment before she melted into his touch and reciprocated the kiss. Her hands tangling into his hair and pulling at his shirt.

When they finally pulled away for air, Mitch grinned. "You're everything I want and More."