solo cup | m. marner

Summary: After her roomate drags her to a party, Y/N meets rookie Mitch Marner

Friday nights were usually spent curled up in her bedroom with a good book or watching reruns on Netflix with her roommate Sarah, but when Sarah had started going out with this guy who's brother played for the cities hockey team, parties had become her normal routine on the weekend.

Tired of her roommate being a homebody- Sarah got the girl all dressed up and ready for a night out. "Come on! I promise that You'll have fun!!" The bubbly blonde cheered- her boyfriend's name was Matt and his brother Mitch was the rookie of the team which meant that he was the one responsible for throwing the parties and ensuring his teammates had a proper place to get shift faced.

Sighing irritably, Y/N was putting the finishing touches of her makeup on- glancing at the woman in the mirror, she rolled her eyes. "You are a pain in the ass you know that Sarah? You're just going to take me to the party- ditch me within the first five minutes and then go hook up with Matt in the bathroom." She spoke bitterly.

While that was exactly what Sarah had planned, she didn't have to be the one to admit that. "I promise I won't leave your side until I'm positive you're going to get laid." She winked, smacking the girl's butt.

Y/N had been wearing a pair of jeans- a nice top and some sneakers, not one of the whole dancing in heels thing- she grabbed her jacket and purse- walking out of the apartment with her roommate as they hailed a cab. The warm autumn air was quickly developing a chill as the evening progressed.

Sarah was already slightly tipsy- as the two girls had done their pre-game at the apartment, while Y/N was certainly buzzed, she wasn't as slammed as her friend who happened to be an extreme light weight.

The drive to the house wasn't too bad, considering they were showing up at a few minutes after seven, Y/N thought there would be more traffic around the small university town. By the time they rounded the corner of the neighbourhood- the music was already filling the streets. The flashing lights and bass were the first indicators that there was a party- Y/N stepping out of the cab and immediately being hit was various smells.

The night was barely underway and she could already see that someone had thrown up the contents of their stomach into the grass out from. Sarah tugged her along into the house and they immediately headed to the "bar" her boyfriend was in the middled of poring shots for everyone when Sarah jumped up behind him and kissed his cheek.

"Ladies! Glad you could make it!" Matt cheered- he passed them both a drink and smiled. "Sare- you know where everything his, so I'm assuming you'll give Y/N a quick tour? I'll come find you once my brother gets here." He promised her, his hands glided across her waist and he pulled her in for a sloppy kiss before Sarah was running off, leaving Y/N to follow.

The house was really nice, they found the room where all the valuables had been placed- seemingly to deter people from steeling or getting things stolen. Y/N kept questioning Sarah about Matt's brother- what kind of person was late to their own party?

"He probably had to run out and get some more cups and stuff- its fine, Matt has everything under control... and by the time Mitch gets here- he'll probably have some of his teammates with him." Sarah explained after getting tired of the constant questioning.

Y/N groaned but nodded- she parked herself In a chair outback once Sarah had returned to Matt, she wasn't one for parties- she knew how to have a good time, but that was usually done with her own friends- not a house full of people she barely knew.

Hearing the back door creak open, a boy closer to Y/N's age had walked out- holding two red solo cups in his hand. "Hey are you Y/N?" He asked softly, looking up the girl instantly recognized how attractive he was. Blinking a few times as she processed what he said, she nodded. "Uh yeah?" She answered him.

Smiling, the boy sat down and passed her a beer. "Im Mitch- Sarah and Matt said you were out here in need of company." He chuckled. Rolling her eyes, Y/N couldn't help but snicker. "Of course they did- its nice to meet you Mitch." She shook his hand and accepted the beer gratefully.

As they stared out into the backyard, Mitch spoke up. "So you're not a fan of parties I take it?" He asked, dropping his arms over his knees as he sat cross-legged. He had this pretty boy smile and childlike nature about him that made him cute- Y/N was sure that he had girls fawning over Himont the regular.

"Eh- I don't really know anyone here." She shrugged. "Other than you're brother and Sarah- and by now I assume they've taken over your guest bedroom or the bathroom." She grimaced at the thought.

Mitch laughed and quickly pulled a face of disgust. "I hope not- I don't need to hear my brother going at it with his girlfriend when I get ready for bed." He told her- they shared a few laughs before settling into a comfortable silence.

Getting had way through her bud-light, Y/N spoke up bravely. "So Sarah tells me you play hockey? Is that at the university or?" She questioned- she wasn't really all that familiar with sports so she was hoping she didn't come off across as dumb and ignorant.

Raising his brows, Mitch shook his head- "No not for the university... I uh- I actually got drafted into the NHL this year, Im playing for Toronto." He smiled proudly- it was definitely his biggest achievement to date.

The girl let out a gasp and pushed his shoulder- growing more confident as she started to become slightly drunk. "Thats amazing! Congrats!" She giggled. "Im not a huge athletic person but that definitely takes some skill!" She commended him.

Brushing his brown hair out of his face, Mitch grinned. "Thank you- I try my best." Through the night they talked a little bit before the boy grew the balls to ask Y/N to dance- they headed inside and joined the group of friends which included his teammates, some girlfriends and then some random people that had just shown up.

Everything was going well and Mitch had been the one to ask if they could exchange numbers- everything about Y/N was really chill- he wasn't sure if he was looking for a hookup or a girlfriend yet, but to have her as a friend in the meantime would be really nice. Getting herself a cab, Mitch had walked the girl out to the car once it pulled up.

"So I'll text you and maybe we can hangout sometime?" Y/N asked as she got in the backseat- grinning from ear to ear, Mitch leaned in and pecked her cheek- stepping back and starting to shuffle back towards the house with a bright grin.

"I'm looking forward to it."