Ch. 38 - Surprise Vistor

TWO DAYS HAVE PASSED SINCE Joshua's been attacked

TWO DAYS HAVE PASSED SINCE Joshua's been attacked. I have been at the hospital every single second, not wanting to leave his side. My parents haven't said one word about it, and I think they are finally understanding what I have been trying to tell them.

Joshua has been walking around the room slowly, trying not to hurt himself worse. After the first day, he insisted on wearing sweatpants and t-shirts/hoodies. The nurses fought against at first, but Joshua won in the end.

Now, we are eating pizza while watching 10 Things I Hate About You. We were laying in the hospital bed, and our legs were entangled with each other. I gave him space so I'm not hurting him, and he kept smiling at me.

"What?" I finally asked after he did it for the fifth time. "Do I have pizza sauce on my face?"

Joshua shook his head, but still smiling,"No. I just realized something is all."

I raised an eyebrow at him,"What did you realize?"

"I realized that I'm finally free. They can't hurt me anymore. I can finally live the life I want without them interfering. You saved me, Annie, and I can't thank you enough," he said, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

"You have saved me so many times over the last couple weeks. It's time I returned the favor," I replied with a simple shrug of my shoulders.

"Leah, you kept me alive in that house. There was so many times I wanted everything to end. I wanted to see my Mom again, and I wanted out of the pain and suffering I was enduring at that house. But every time I thought about it, you stopped me and you didn't even realize it. You would laugh, and that would be my reason to keep going. You have been my saving grace for years. I owe you everything and more," Joshua explained as tears sprang to my eyes.

I had no idea Joshua was thinking about ending it all. And I'm the reason he stayed for this long. How did I not notice he was hurting?

"I had no idea you were hurting so bad, Joshua. I am so sorry," I apologized, making him laugh.

"It wasn't your responsibility to watch after me. We were both kids, and hell we still are. You have nothing to apologize for. You did everything right, and I love you so much, Annie. I love you so fucking much," Joshua replied before his lips met mine.

The kiss was soft and delicate. It didn't last long due to somebody coming into the room. Joshua and I broke apart to see Brent and Campbell standing at the door with smiles on their faces.

"Hey guys," Campbell said as Brent shut the door behind them.

"Hey. We didn't realize you two were coming by today," I said, looking over at Joshua for a reaction.