Ch. 8 - "Let's do this."

EVERYBODY HAS BEEN STARING at me like I'm the new kid

EVERYBODY HAS BEEN STARING at me like I'm the new kid. I guess it's because of what happened this morning, but I was getting stared at when I got out of Vanessa's car so it has to be something else.

At lunch time, I walked with Vanessa to the cafeteria. I really wanted to go to the library and take a nap so I wouldn't have to face people, but Vanessa didn't want to eat lunch alone.

And the best friend of the year award goes to......me.

I grabbed a salad because I really not hungry, but I know that if I don't eat something, I'll be starving by the time I get home.

I paid for my food before following Vanessa to a table in the corner. Eyes stared at the back of my head, and I felt uncomfortable.

Sitting in my seat, I opened the lid to my salad before pouring ranch on it. Vanessa was talking about how her ex boyfriend, Zeke, texted her last night looking to hook up.

"I told him no and to stop texting me just for your information," she informed me before plopping a french fry in her mouth.

"Well, that's good to hear," I replied, stirring my salad around.

Vanessa was about to say something until her mouth dropped open. Then a chair scraped  against the floor beside me, and I looked to my left to see Joshua sitting down beside me.

And, apparently, I'm not the only one that noticed.

Multiple people looked this way, and they whispered to their friends. I blushed in embarrassment, and I looked back at Joshua to see him opening his water bottle.

"Can we help you?" Vanessa asked Joshua with a raised eyebrow.

Joshua cleared his throat,"I need to talk to Annie about something."

Joshua looked over at me, and I told Vanessa,"I'll be right back."

Joshua and I both stood up from our seats, and we walked outside of the cafeteria. I felt eyes staring at me, but I tried my best not to look in their direction. Joshua leaned against the wall once we made it out of the cafeteria, and I stood in front of him.

"Have you heard what Asher saying about you?" He asked me, running a hand through his hair.

I shook my head,"No. What has he been saying?"

"Asher has been telling people that you are the one who cheated, and you cheated on him with me."

My whole body froze, but my mind was running a hundred miles per hour.

Why would he say that?

Why would he want to hurt me?

The sadness that went through me turned into anger when I realized that he is trying to keep his perfection reputation perfect.