Ch. 35 - Message

"SO ANYTHING EXCITING COMING up?" My therapist, Dr

"SO ANYTHING EXCITING COMING up?" My therapist, Dr. Blackwell, asked with a small smile.

"The homecoming dance is next Saturday. I'm actually going dress shopping after we get done here," I answered, playing with my fingers.

"That's great. I assume you are taking Joshua?"

I nodded,"Yes."

"Good. So how is everything at home?"

I shrugged,"It's okay. Mom has been with Campbell a lot to help her with the babies. Dad has been slammed packed at work so I'm pretty much by myself a lot."

"And your brother?"

"I haven't really talked to him. He's busy with his own life," I said, making her nod.

"So it's just been you by yourself?" She asked, curiously.

"No. I have been with Joshua, Xavier, and Jake a lot, especially Joshua. They came over yesterday to binge watch all of the Hunger Games movies," I answered, smiling at the memory.

"I take it that you haven't spoken to Vanessa?"

My smile instantly fell, and I cleared my throat, not wanting to talk about her. Every time I even think about her I'm sad and hurt.

"Why does it matter?"

Dr. Blackwell noticed my mood shift, and she just gave me a small smile.

"It matters because it's important in your healing process. You have to forgive Vanessa for what she did to you. And that goes for Asher as well. I'm not saying go be best friends with them, but if you can forgive them, you can finally start healing," she explained, sitting her notebook on the table next to her.

"Well, I don't forgive them. If they truly cared about me, they would have never betrayed me."

"I understand, but just know that if you forgive them, you aren't obligated to be best buddies with them. Forgiving them isn't for their benefit; it's for yours."

I nodded, and she moved onto the next question. "How are you dealing with your grief? Are the meds improving?"

"I miss Lisa a lot. It hurts my chest when I remember memories about her. It's like a punch in the gut. The meds help a lot lately. I can finally sleep without waking up with fear and anxiety," I told her, truthfully.

She nodded,"I understand that. When I lost my mom, it was unbearable. But overtime, the pain eases up. It becomes more a dull ache than a searing pain at least to me."

"Maybe," I muttered, checking my phone on the time.

Dr. Blackwell noticed, and she asked,"Is there somewhere you need to be?"

I shook my head,"It's nothing. Like I said earlier, I have homecoming dress shopping, and the store closes soon. I just want to get it over with."

"Okay. Well if you want to leave, you can. We can resume Monday."