Ch. 9 - Rules for Fake Dating 101

WHEN VANESSA DROPPED ME off at my house, I noticed that my mother was home

WHEN VANESSA DROPPED ME off at my house, I noticed that my mother was home. There was another car in the driveway, and I instantly recognized it.

It was Lisa Cade's car.

Lisa is my sister's adoptive mother also known as my mother's best friend. The two are like teenagers with their gossip about the people they work with and romance movie marathons.

Last time they had a sleepover, I overheard them talking about this guy at Lisa's job who is sleeping with the big boss but thinks nobody knows.

As soon as I opened the front door, I heard laughing from the living room. My mother and Lisa were looking at my mother's old yearbooks that she kept from her high school years.

When Lisa saw me, she quickly got up and rushed over to me. She wrapped her arms around me, engulfing me into one of her mama bear hugs.

"Hi, Lisa," I said as she squeezed tighter.

"Sweetheart, I'm so sorry about your breakup with Asher. If you need anything, and I mean anything," she said, giving me a wink before continuing,"let me know."

"I promise I am fine," I said, making my Mom shake her head.

"That's what they all say. I remember my first break up. It was brutal," Mom said, making Lisa nod her head in agreement.

"Well, I'm going to make some food. Joshua is coming over," I said, making the two women gasp.

You would've thought I said I was pregnant.

My Mom jumped up from the couch, and Lisa's mouth dropped open. Both of them were right in front of me, shocked.

"Like as in Joshua Carter?" My mother asked, making me simply nod.

"The one and only. We're working on a...project," I lied with a simple shrug.

A project?!! I couldn't have come up with a better lie. Joshua was right. I am a terrible liar.

Lisa raised an eyebrow, suspiciously,"A project?"

I nodded, trying to keep my poker face. "Yep. Really big project for..chemistry."

I cringed a little, and Mom and Lisa looked at each with a certain look. They looked like they were talking to each other through their minds.

"So have you two been...hanging out recently?" Mom asked with curious tone. "I mean, he drove you home the other night when Asher and you broke up. And now you two have a project to do."