Ch. 17 - "You're safe with me."

"WHO DOESN'T LIKE PEPPERONI on pizza?" Xavier asked, bewildered at the fact that I don't like pepperonis

I shrugged,"Sane people."

"More like insane," he retorted with a side smile.

It was Thursday, and we were all at lunch. Everything between me and Joshua seem to be fine since the not so hot and sexy kiss. Whatever was bugging him Saturday night went away, and he was back to his usual self.

Me, on the other hand, haven't slept more than two or three hours a night. I would wake up panting and scared from the nightmares, but I haven't screamed like I did Friday night.

I was so tired, and the only reason I am awake right now is because I downed three cups of coffee. I have so much to do this weekend, and I need to get myself together before my first game Saturday morning.

Besides the game, I have two tests tomorrow which I haven't even studied for, and I have a student council meeting tomorrow after school.

"So, in all seriousness, are we still on for Saturday night?" Jake asked, looking over at me.

And let's not forget that Saturday I'm suppose to be going with Joshua to some event that nobody has told me about. It must be something sketchy because Joshua clearly doesn't want me to go.

Vanessa nodded, and I just shrugged, not really interested in this conversation.

My eyes were getting heavy, and all I wanted to do was just sleep. Everybody went into their own conversations, and nobody was paying attention to me.

Well except one person.

Joshua has kept his eyes on me since we sat down at the lunch table. He hasn't said anything to me, but his eyes tell another story.

Once the bell rang, I stood up, slowly, while grabbing my barely eaten lunch. I took a step towards the trash, and that's when I tripped over my chair leg.

I was about to fall face first into the ground when Joshua grabbed me. He set me back on my two feet, and his face held worry and concern.

"Let me throw away your trash. Just stay right here," he said, taking my trash from my hands.

He walked away from me, and I watched him walk all the way to the trash cans. Joshua threw away my trash before turning around to walk back to me.

Once he reached me, he said,"Come on, I'm taking you home."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion,"What? Why?"

"Because you are beyond tired. I can see it all over your face. All day, you have been yawning and about to fall asleep. Plus there are the bags under your eyes," Joshua said, making my jaw drop open.

"You can see them?"

"Yes, Annie. Now, come on," he said as he grabbed my bag as well as his.

"I can't leave, Josh. I still have classes and so do you," I argued with a shake of my head.