Ch. 12 - Hospital Conversations

FOR THE REST OF THE DAY, MY MIND was occupied at what happened at lunch

She basically hugged my arm when she didn't have to. I know she is still a little uncomfortable with the whole fake dating so that's why I was so surprise at what she did. I mean, it's not like she kissed me or anything, but I still felt a silver of happiness from her touch.

"Joshua, hey, where are you heading?" Xavier asked as he appeared by my side.  

He used my full name so I know he is about to talk to me about a serious issue.

"About to go meet Leah and then we are going to the soccer field," I answered before adding, "She has practice."

"Mind if I tag along?" Xavier asked with a hopeful look on his face.

"I don't care."

Xavier looked relieved, and I knew why. Xavier doesn't want to go home. His parents are surgeons, and he is an only child. When he goes home, he is by himself.

A lot of teenagers would jump at that opportunity, but Xavier hates being alone. He wants to go home to parents that put him first in their lives. He acts like it's not a big deal, but it is.

So that's why I go over to his house and spend the night majority of the week. So he is not alone.

"So, what are we going to do about next weekend? We can't let the girls go. Y'know how dangerous it is out there," Xavier asked after a moment of silence.

"Well, Leah doesn't even want to go. I saw her face earlier. She didn't seem comfortable about it, and she doesn't even know what the event is."

We walked towards Leah's locker, and whenever we were a few feet away from her locker. I stopped dead in my tracks, and Xavier stopped as well.

Leah was leaning against the lockers, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that some douchebag was standing in front of her with his hand right next to her head. She looked uncomfortable, and she tried to step away.

But the douchebag stepped in front of her again, making her lean against the lockers again.

Anger ran through my body, and all I saw was red. I marched over to them, and Leah must have sensed my presence because she looked over where I was at. She looked relieved to see me, but the guy that was standing in front of her looked angry.

As soon as I reached them, I wrapped an arm around Leah, putting her behind me away from this douchebag.

Once I knew she was behind me safely, I glared at the guy in front of me. He was shorter than me by a few inches, and he had bright orange hair. I noticed the football letterman jacket, and that made me ten times angrier.

"Look, man, she was coming onto me," he lied with a fake smile.

That's when I grabbed him by his shirt with both of my fists, and I slammed him into the lockers with a loud bang. I raised him up so he was off the floor, and he looked petrified.