22

~maybe we feel empty because we leave pieces of ourselves in everything we used to love~      

- Sofia's pov -

I walk into Coal's kitchen and start opening random cabinets looking for some brownie mix. Coal  just leans against the wall and watches me struggle with smirk on his face. 

I ignore him and keep looking for the brownie mix. Suddenly I feel a presence behind and turn around. 

I'm met with Coal, holding a box of brownie mix. 

"Took you long enough," I roll my eyes and snatch it out of his hand. 

"What can I say? It was amusing watching you struggle for once." He chuckles. 

I slap his shoulder, "Where are your bowls?" 

He points to a cabinet under the counter and I walk over to it. 

I grab a big metal bowl and place it on the counter. I look at the box of brownies to see what I need. 

2 eggs

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup water

Seems easy enough. 

"Get me 2 eggs and vegetable oil!" I shoo him but he doesn't budge. 

"What's the magic word darling?" Coal smiles. 

"Please?" I raise my eyebrows at him. He finally get's up and goes to the fridge. I pour in 1/2 cup of water and the brownie mix while Coal gets the other ingredients. 

"Here you go," He set 2 eggs and vegetable oil on the counter. I measure 3/4 cups of vegetable oil and mix it into the bowl. I crack the 2 eggs. 

"Oh! I need flour! Can you mix this while I get it?" I ask. 

He nods and takes the whisk from me. I then realize I don't know where the flour is. 

"Uhm, where's the flour?" I scratch the back of my neck. 

"The shelf above the oven." 

I nod and grab the flour. I walk back over to Coal with a pan and flour. 

Coal pours the brownie mix into the pan. 

"What do you need the flour for?" Coal raises an eyebrow. 

"The top, duh." I state like it's obvious. He just smiles and shakes his head. 

I reach my hand into the packet of flour and grab a hand full to sprinkle on top. As soon as my hand comes out of the packet, it's abruptly hit and the flour flies into my face. 

"What the fuck!" I raise my voice at Coal who is almost out of breathe when he sees my face covered in flour. 

"Oops." He shrugs. 

"Your gonna regret that Demartino." I say as I grab another handful of flour and throw it at him. 

His laughing turns into anger as he runs for the packet of flour. 

We start ripping apart the package and throwing flour at each other. There's flour all over the floor and all over our clothes, my hair, and my face. 

We suddenly realize there's no more flour to throw and just look at each other with blank expressions. 

I try to hold back my laughter but when I see a smile creep onto Coal's face I burst out laughing and he does too. 

I fall to the floor from laughing to much, a tear literally just fell down my face. 

"I definitely won." Coal says, out of breathe from laughing.

"Um definitely not."

Before he can respond, Riley and Will walk through the balcony doors. 

"What did we just walk into..." Will says when he sees the mess. 

Coal and I just look at each other, then back at them, then burst out laughing again. 

"You know what, I'm even gonna ask because you two are finally getting along."Riley smiles before plopping down on the couch. 

Coal helps me stand back up from the floor and I try to get as much flour off my face as possible. 

"Yeah I'm def gonna need some new clothes.." 

"I'll go get us some." Coal walks out of the kitchen. I finish up the brownies an put them into the oven by the time he comes back. 

"How am I supposed to get all this flour off?" I question Coal. 

"Hmmm, how bout a swim?" He smirks before running up the stairs that lead to the roof. 

I run after him and hear a big splash as I get tot he top. 

"What are you waiting for?" He asks. 

I jump into the pool. 

When I come up, my face is collided with a splash and I look at Coal. I splash him right back. 

"This definitely got the flour off," I giggle,  looking down at my body that is now cleansed of flour. 

We both float there in silence. It's awkward, being friends with him again. It almost feels like we never stopped. 

"Uhm, it's getting pretty late so I should probably get some sleep.." I say, climbing the ladder out of the pool. 

"Yeah," Coal mumbles, "the clothes are on that chair."

I nod and pick up the sweatpants and extremely large hoodie. 

I go down the stairs, soaking wet, and into his bathroom. I change quickly and when I walk out, I run straight into his hard chest. It's always him. 

I look up at Coal, and our gazes meet. We are so close, no space between us except for the centimeter between our lips. 

I feel an urge to kiss him, I don't know why. I wan't our lips to connect in every way possible. 

I want to savor this moment, almost like it will never happen again. 

I'm broken out of my thoughts when Coal steps back. 

"Sorry, I didn't realize you were in there...." He says awkwardly. 

I nod, "Thank you for the clothes." 

I walk out of his bedroom and as soon as he closes the door, I  press my back against the wall. 

I can't be feeling anything for Coal, that's Luke's best friend. I don't want him to think I'm betraying him. 

The thought lingers through my mind as I lay on Coal's couch. 

I haven't felt happy like this in 2 years. 2 fucking years. I feel like my life finally has purpose. I want it to last forever, but I know it won't. I know that as soon as I go home tomorrow, the feeling of emptiness with overcome me. I won't feel happy, all I will feel is pain. Pain from every thing in my life. It seems that the only thing that isn't causing me pain in my life is Coal. 

________________________________________________________________________________Sorry this was a short one. 

It felt right to end the chapter here... 

this chapter felt so cute though, I'm literally loving Sofia right now. 

she's so pure that it hurts writing about her thoughts and scars :| 

also i'm going to start adding pictures and quotes at the start of every chapter

i'm going to go back and do the others slowly :)

anyways, i will prob have another update today 

so comment, vote and share 

<3