59

F I F T Y   N I N E

T h i r d   P e r s o n ' s

·

The weekend arrived in front of Haesoo's face quicker than she initially expected. In times when she feels extraordinarily emotional, she thought of time's movement to be slower. Surprisingly, waking up late made her feel a certain urge of energy she never would be able to explain.

Normally, she would take her merged breakfast and lunch quickly and find some house chores to help her mom with. It is quite a surprise to Haesoo that she went directly to the bathroom after her meal, and let the cold water rain down on her from the shower. It was past 12 when she finished her shower, and the next right thing to do for her intuition would be to look for something to wear.

Haesoo has always been picky about clothes, but she never tried dressing so fashionably especially on occasions. Although she never wore the nicest things on birthdays, a tide of dedication urged her again to put a little bit more effort on dressing up that day.

She wore something nice-nicer than her usual style. Whatever could it be that's driving her that way in those moments? She wouldn't know, but Haesoo doesn't have any complains about it.

What's so special about this day? She thought. Could it be the fact that she's about to see Song Kang before her very eyes? It probably doesn't matter. It's Jisoo's birthday anyway.

A phonecall rushed to the distracted girl, looking at the mirror. Haesoo's phone rang and rang, and that was the only time she could properly look at her phone. "What in the almighty Squidward's tentacles—it's 2PM already?" She mused to herself.

She picked up the call from Doyeon-who apparently was right in front of her house, ready to offer her the ride. Haesoo ran down from her room and kissed her mom goodbye, before leaving on her way to her friends.

"Hey, now. I woke up 11am," Haesoo said before finally entering the car.

"Whoa, Haesoo, are you trying to be casted as an idol? Why are you dressed like a supermodel?"

"Oh, this is not my supermodel look yet, don't fret. I'm a fashion goddess!" Haesoo joked around. "And besides, it's Jisoo's birthday."

"You've never put this kind of effort back in my birthdays! You've never even put make-up on, you sneaky hoe."

"At least I dress like you do, now, Doyeon."

"Yeah, I should be proud," Doyeon responded. She laughed as she took a careless turn—though she knew she is a good driver. They spent at least half an hour on their way to the mall.

For Haesoo, the confusing part was the odd certainty she had about that day; Haesoo knew something was up, but she was not sure if it was positive or negative. Haesoo kept on checking her phone, moments by moments. Would Yeonjun even send a message? What could've happened between him and Joohan? Did his battle go the way he wanted it to? Those thoughts kept running inside Haesoo's mind even when she and Doyeon finally caught up with Jisoo and Yujin.

"What took you so long? The movie is about to start! Go, go," Yujin told the two late girls.

Haesoo immediately rolled her eyes, slowly entering the place while complaining. "Doyeon said the movie's starting exactly at 3. It's just 2:45, ladies. Is it really supposed to start now? I have to pee!"

"The bitch lied to you, Haesoo. It's on, just get inside and find your seats. No peeing."

The four girls watched the newest drama film "Double Patty," all for their dedication to the main actress, Red Velvet's leader Irene. "Look at her. When I look at her, I feel like I need to go and get plastic surgery. I'm insecure of her," Doyeon whispered.

Two hours quickly passed by, and it's already quarter to 5PM. Haesoo felt a mix of emotions after watching the movie, making her crave for some sudden urge of excitement.

Jisoo took a bite on her burger. "So, after this dinner, we'd be able to see Song Kang?" The girl asked, almost unintelligible because of the stuffed food inside her mouth.

"I thought they cancelled it?" Doyeon asked, confused. "Didn't Yujin already gave you the heads-up? She texted me last night, saying the Song Kang event was cancelled–"

"What the hell are you saying? I never received a message! Why didn't you tell me?" Jisoo decided to cut Doyeon off. "This is unforgivable. It's my birthday—how could they cancel it on my birthday?"

"Hey, now, calm down. We will go to the arcade instead." Haesoo suggested. "Since it's cancelled, then we'd have more time to play, right?"

"Exactly. Haesoo is right. Jisoo, you should just sing it off at the Karaoke, okay?"

And it's as if it has only been a second when Jisoo grabbed the microphone. "Good for you, you look happy and healthy, not me, if you ever care to ask!" The girls went directly to the karaoke after finishing their dinner, and are now singing their hearts out.

Haesoo sat on the couch as she skimmed through the songbook. Time is quickly passing, but she still feels a little weird. She wasn't feeling happy and she wasn't sad either. What could it be that's giving her an odd presentiment? Haesoo felt so curious about the hunch. It feels like something is about to happen.

Yet Yujin couldn't help but worry when Haesoo has been acting a little too unusual the entire day. "Hey, are you okay? It seems like you're thinking a lot about something."

Haesoo laughed at Yujin's kind words. "Well, yeah. Don't worry. Maybe I was just a little distracted. Could it be the movie?"

"Oh, oh. There's a chance. Why? Was the movie bad?"

"No. That's what's odd, actually. Everything's been smooth except for the Song Kang event." Haesoo admitted. The two of them conversed as Jisoo and Doyeon kept singing in the background.

"Well, just tell me if you need anything," Yujin said.

Haesoo nodded her head while displaying a smile. "I should... I think I have to go to the rest room. I'd be back in a minute."

She rushed directly towards the comfort room area, holding her bag and looking down. She held her phone up to check her notifications. It was as if she's waiting for something. However, nothing in her notification panel ever satisfied her interest that time. She did not receive any new texts or calls.

And when she just realized it, she was probably waiting for his call the entire time. A presence or even a shadow of Yeonjun would drive Haesoo different. She was longing for Yeonjun even more, right when she thought she was being patient.

Haesoo viewed her reflection in the mirror. "Pull yourself together, Haesoo. Come on. It's Jisoo's birthday—don't be like this," she cooed, talking to herself. She washed her hands and dried them off quickly as she went her way back to the karaoke room.

Along her way were faces of people she can only perceive as blurry. She walked past restaurants and stalls, some cute outfits and some random fashion branches. She wanted to stop at any of them to distract herself from overthinking, but things only went worse when a familiar face caught her eyes in the middle of a blurry ocean of people.

Haesoo stopped walking as she looked around. Her eyes explored everything around her just to make sure she wasn't hallucinating. I saw him, Haesoo thought. I think I saw Yeonjun right here, just now.

Haesoo dived into the rushing flow of strangers, hoping she would get another glimpse, making herself believe in something she wasn't even a tad bit sure of. But if it was Yeonjun she saw, she wouldn't know what to do afterwards. Haesoo doubts she would be able to run to him, because he promised to be the one running towards her instead.