36

T H I R T Y   S I X

T h i r d   P e r s o n ' s

·

Yeonjun rushed out from Soobin's car. "Thanks for giving me a ride."

"Yeonjun," Soobin said, holding Yeonjun back for a few more seconds. "Will you be okay?"

Yeonjun smiled. "I'll be fine. I just feel bad that I left Haesoo at her studio, when she wanted to introduce me to her groupmates. Next time, we'd come."

"Of course," Soobin replied. "Call me when you're done. We'll pick you up later, then we go to the bar."

Yeonjun waved Soobin goodbye before he went inside the building. He was supposed to go up to the restaurant.

When Yeonjun arrived, he was hesitant. He saw his parents already sat along with the fine looking people along with them. He checked his watch and examined his suit, to make sure there's not a trace of cigarette in his coat he might've caught inside Soobin's car.

And his outfit was undeniably clean. He heard his phone ringing when he looked back up, and it was his father. He turned his phone off, immediately, and walked towards them. Every step he took was heavy, and he was almost breathless at the last step. "Good Evening, Mr. And Mrs. Seo," Yeonjun greeted. "And to you... Joohan-ah."

"We missed you, Yeonjun," was the immediate reply he got from the older lady who stood up to hug him.

There was an awkward ambiance in the air as it all happened too quickly—taking Yeonjun back to that time, four years ago. She saw the girl again, at last, after the long wait and constant apologies.

When they all sat down, Yeonjun could not take his eyes away from the girl in front of him—Joohan, as he reffered to. She hasn't laid an eye to Yeonjun ever since he arrived, but Yeonjun could not wait to speak to her again.

"How long has it been? I think it was four years ago when we left to the US. Joohan had a great time studying there. If she wants to settle back here in Korea, I think she could continue here in a university in Seoul. I heard that Yeonjun would study overseas for college. How unfortunate it is, Joohan came back and now he's leaving."

Yeonjun's dad cleared his throat. "It is for the good. After all, we wouldn't want Yeonjun to be around Joohan again. We do not want to put her in trouble," Yeonjun's dad declared. Yeonjun looked down in an instant because of his father's harsh words.

"Don't be like that, Mr. Choi. That was long ago—Joohan and Yeonjun surely moved on from that incident," the lady responded with a smile.

"Of course, they certainly have. Look at how Joohan grew up so drastic within a four-year timeline," Yeonjun's mother claimed. "And Yeonjun remained to be top in class. He is now pursuing a career in dancing."

"We wouldn't be surprised if he debuts as a K-Pop idol, or an actor. Yeonjun is a very smart and talented boy," said Joohan's mother, who happened to agree with the lightening of the mood.

As their families continued to talk, Yeonjun felt more and more breathless. It was as if the more he glances at Joohan, the more he suffocates. He wished Joohan would look at him, at least once, for him to break free from suffocation.

Yet the girl refused to lay a single glance at Yeonjun. "I have to go to the ladies' room. Please excuse me."

The night was long and Yeonjun was very much worried of how the night would turn out. "I... Will have to get some water. The wine tastes bland," Yeonjun said as an excuse. He stood up and left quickly towards where Joohan went.

Yeonjun did not want to force her—not again, but he was desperate to get through that night. He could not bear the conversation and the weird exchanges he heard by their parents' mouths, when he remembers clearly how their parents cursed each other four years ago.

When Yeonjun saw Joohan walking, he held her wrist and stopped her. "Seo Joohan..." Yeonjun initiated a talk. Still, she kept avoiding his eyes. "W-will you speak to me? Please?"

It was a risk Yeonjun had to take once more. He was always risking everything to the point that he ruins himself. But that night, he finally got to hear her voice. Joohan took a walk with Yeonjun to the garden of that restaurant, at last, to break the deafening silence.

Yeonjun knew how hard it has been for her. He wanted to be there as her best friend, but how could he be the one to comfort her when it was him that caused the discomfort?

The garden was a quiet place. "How have you been?" Yeonjun asked. She was looking down, clearly, still not ready. When she raised her chin and looked at Yeonjun at last, Yeonjun's eyes were in a specific glimmer. He missed her eyes.

"Hey, Yeonjun. I've been well," she responded, smiling. Her eyes were shining, but Yeonjun wouldn't know it was because she was almost crying. "H-how about you? Sorry about earlier. I wasn't ready. I'm glad you got us out of there, Yeonjun."

Yeonjun began to hold back his tears. "I know right. It was awkward... Sorry about that, Joohan-ah. Um... I've been fine–"

Before Yeonjun coud complete his sentence, he was abruptly interrupted when the girl slapped his face with no hesitation. "I'm so glad... That you've been fine."