39

T H I R T Y   N I N E

T h i r d   P e r s o n ' s

·

"Go away, all of you."

"We're not going anywhere," Yeonjun remarked, sitting on the couch of Haesoo's house.

Soobin and Beomgyu were quietly observing how huge Haesoo's house is. They both took gulps on the drink Haesoo's mother prepared for them.

"Mom... Please excuse us." Haesoo's cold eyes remained staring at the center table, ignoring the three boys sitting with her in the living room.

Haesoo's mom slowly walked away. "Okay. Call me if you need something."

It was a new kind of awkwardness for Soobin when the four of them were left there with no one saying a single word. Soobin finally thought he should initiate. "About yesterday..." Sobin started. "I'm sorry."

Haesoo ignored the remark. She took a deep breath before she spoke. "What brings you here? There's no need for this. If I haven't made it clear, I'm cutting ties with you."

"Haesoo," Yeonjun immediately spoke her name calmly. "Please... We don't have to be like this."

"Why?" Haesoo asked, finally looking directly to Yeonjun's eyes. "I've given it a thought. Maybe we don't like each other. Maybe we were just driven by excitement."

"Why are you being this hard? Those pictures are just pictures. She's someone I've known in the past—that doesn't matter now. I told you that I like you."

"Choi Yeonjun..." Haesoo turned to completely face Yeonjun. It was obvious through Haesoo's eyes that she has been crying all night. "If you think I was just jealous, please. That's not it."

Haesoo took another sigh before continuing her well-thought words. "Fine, since Beomgyu already knew and Soobin found out yesterday, I would be honest. I liked you, too," she declared, admitting her feelings. "But it's not jealousy, Yeonjun. It's because I got scared."

Beomgyu turned to look at Soobin, while the latter did the same. Surprised, Beomgyu and Soobin wondered if Haesoo knew about Yeonjun's past incident.

Yeonjun's hands rolled into fists. "Why... Why were you scared?" Yeonjun asked, nervous.

"I'm scared that I might really know nothing about you," the girl answered rightaway.

Yeonjun leaned towards Haesoo to grab and hold her hands. "I k-know... I know that we just met. But believe me, I am willing."

"Then tell me," Haesoo retorted as she removed Yeonjun's hands from hers. "Why would you lie about not having a romantic interest in the past? You told me you never had someone—not even a crush."

Beomgyu's eyes immediately widened. "Y-you lied to Haesoo?"

"I lied because I am afraid. I wasn't sure about my feelings back then... But now," Yeonjun said, "Haesoo, I like you. I like you, and these are my real feelings."

Haesoo looked away from Yeonjun and avoided his eyes once again. Haesoo was unable to show her worry for she has already thought through it overnight. However, Yeonjun carried on to convincing her. "Come back to me. This time, there's no agreements." Yeonjun's eyes were in a glimmer of regret and hope. "Be mine, Kim Haesoo."

And although he could handle it, Soobin still could not deny the way he is feeling about Yeonjun and Haesoo's possible relationship. "I... Think we shouldn't force her," Soobin commented, quietly, though audible for the three.

"Stay out of this. This is why you two shouldn't have come," Yeonjun exclaimed, which almost made Beomgyu act the way he was supposed to—the referee of the game.

However, Beomgyu was taken aback by the sudden re-entrance of Haesoo's voice. "If you really won't go unless we make up, then I guess I have to force myself. I'm making up to you, for the sake of our friendship." Haesoo remained collected as she spoke out those words. "Our circle of friends... I don't want to ruin it. But I'd leave it at that."

"Haesoo... You're rejecting me?"

"Yeonjun," Soobin whispered, finally touching a hand to Yeonjun's shoulders. This time, he was utterly serious. "Please, let her be for now."

Soobin's hand was immediately shrugged off by Yeonjun. Soobin did not have a choice but to make a move. "We're leaving, Haesoo," Soobin said quickly, leaving Yeonjun no choice.

"Soobin," Haesoo called, and then she pauses just to breathe out. "I'm sorry too. Before you leave, I just want to tell you that I value our friendship more than you think." Haesoo turned towards Beomgyu right after. "Beomgyu, if the girls ask about anything, refrain from telling them for now."

"You can count on me, Haesoo."

Haesoo was still sat on her place when Yeonjun stood up, this time in a slight tremble. "Kim Haesoo... We're not friends. You've always been more than a friend to me."

"I said I'd leave our friendship untouched." Haesoo's cold eyes did not even bother to look at Yeonjun, as she gave emphasis on the word friendship. "You can go."

Soobin and Beomgyu did not know what to do as they looked at Yeonjun's eyes become teary. It was visible how disappointed he looked—quite hurt and messy. And though they wanted to, Soobin and Beomgyu could not stop Yeonjun from immediately waking out of the scene with tears on his eyes.

Yeonjun left way ahead of Soobin and Beomgyu, while Haesoo broke down to tears right after Yeonjun's presence vanished from that living room.