Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

      “What are you talking about?”

      “Stop acting like you care! Your mood swings are really giving me a headache! You either care or you don’t, you either like me or you don’t! Just choose which one you are instead of making me chase after you and your actions! I’m not going to wait for you forever!” I snap, the words flowing out of my mouth before I can even stop them, before I even know what I am saying.

      My stomach is churning and my heart beats loudly and almost painfully in my chest. His fingers burn with warmth up my arm and through my body. I can feel the warmth of his body beside mine and I want nothing more but to press my own to him.

      But I know it wouldn’t be right. I knew my words were though, even if I hadn’t known I was thinking them, I know they needed to be said. He needed to know how I felt, needed to understand that I wasn’t going to wait and baby him forever.

      “You need to find out what you want and fast, I am tired of waiting for something that most likely won’t even happen, something that you may not even want.” I whisper, my tone remaining strong though.

      “You think I don’t want this? You think I don’t want you?” he asks, his voice a mix of anger and surprise from the topic.

      “I don’t know what you want! That is why I am telling you to find out! If you even know what you want!” I snap.

      “I know exactly what I want!” He says loudly.

      “Then why haven’t you said anything! Why have you kept me waiting!? Wondering!?”

      “Because I wanted to see if you were going to run to him!”

      Now it is my turn to be surprised.

      “Who?” I ask dumbly, my voice barley a whisper.

      “You know exactly who I am talking about.” He hisses, his face inches away from mine now.

      “How many times do I have to tell you that me and Tanner are just friends?! That nothing is going to happen!?”

      “As many as it takes! You obviously have had something with him in the past and I know you have to feel something for him! I didn’t know if what had happened would start up again!”

      “You should have talked to me then! Toughed out your little shyness and hesitation and talked it out! Then you would have known nothing was going to happen!”

      “I don’t think you even know if nothing will happen with you two in the future.” He growls.

      “And I would be wondering the same thing if Hillary was here.” I whisper, my voice firm.

      His face crumples slightly at the sound of her name and a hint of guilt flashes through me for a second.

      “Like I said, I know what I want.” He says, his voice anything but broken.

      “What?” I ask, confusion stirring slightly at his words.

      “For everything to go back to normal. For my life to go back to how it was.” He says, pausing as he pulls back. “For everything to be like it was before you came.” He says coldly, making my stomach drop and tears sting my eyes slightly but I blink them away.

      I can’t let him see me cry. I have to remain strong.

      “Trust me, so do I. Then I wouldn’t have had to put up with your shit. All of it was a waste of my time.”