ch. 58 | On Edge

ASA'S POV

I'm rushing down the hall to the ER waiting room after being directed that way by the receptionist at the check-in desk. It's a fairly small area for family members which is why I'm caught off guard when I round the corner to the waiting room to find that Zac is here, pacing back and forth. Immediately, I slow my strides and make my way over to him. Maybe they called him too?

Honestly I have no idea. The nurse that called me had called for some information regarding Cassandra's insurance, and I immediately came down to the hospital even though she said I shouldn't worry. But I was worried. Because Cassandra was rushed in by emergency services and I had no fucking clue what the hell happened. She couldn't give me much information over the phone either, which only added to my fears.

I want nothing more than for Cassandra to be okay, but her being in the hospital is the furthest away from okay, and I don't even have a clue as to what happened.

As soon as Zac spots me walking over, he stops in his tracks and narrows his eyes at me, as if he's wondering what I'm doing here. But I'm not really all that surprised considering he's not the greatest fan of mine at the moment. He's not happy about my relationship with Cassandra, which I still don't really understand, but honestly, I don't even care right now. I just want to know how she is and if she's okay, and then to be able to see her of course.

"Did you call him?" Zac scoffs as he looks past my shoulder, and I cock at brow at him in confusion as I come to a stop about two feet away from him. I look over my shoulder to see Lauren standing there, holding a cup of coffee in each of her hands.

"No?" Lauren pauses in confusion, before her face falls slightly. "You didn't call him?"

"I'm sorry?" I ask as I realize that they are talking about me, and now I'm totally lost as to why the hell they're talking as if they've been here for a while now. "Wait. Why didn't you call me if you knew that Cassandra was brought in here?"

I feel like it's a redundant question because even I can answer that. Zac didn't want me near his sister, as usual. That's nothing new, but still, I would expect that at least in this type of situation, that he would suck it up and call me for her sake.

"Whatever. That's besides the point. Is she okay? What happened?" I ask him, wondering if maybe the nurse had already spoken to him about what happened or how she is doing. I'm angry that Zac didn't call, but I'm here now, and the pressing issue is that Cassandra is okay. I can deal with Zac and his attitude towards me, and his lack of action on his sister's part, later. Cassandra was my main focus right now.

"Hm," Zac sighs annoyedly as he glances between Lauren and I before finally answering me. "Cassandra freaked out a bit."

"She had a panic attack and her BP dropped really fast, and she passed out. I thought bringing her in would be the best thing to do, so we called 911. But she's fine, really, I'm sure. The docs will update us in a bit," Lauren says at the same time, and immediately I'm on edge again.

Panic attack? I knew Cassandra had dealt with anxiety and did have a few panic attacks in the past, but it had been years and never once when I was around, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

"What? Are you sure?" I ask her, ignoring Zac now, because he's practically useless when it comes to all this medical stuff, much like myself, and I trust Lauren more than I trust him. "She's been doing really well. No need for the Xanax or anything recently," I tell Lauren, recalling that she hasn't been taking them since she found out she was pregnant, and even before then, she was only taking them occasionally.

I feel nervous all of a sudden, because even if Cassandra is okay, what about the baby? I'm trying my best not to think of the worst case scenarios, but they're coming to my mind freely and unwanted. I don't even realize how deep in thought I am until I feel Lauren's hand on my arm, and my eyes flicker down to meet hers.