ch. 2 | Jealous

CASSANDRA'S POV

My feet were killing me. It's been over 16 hours since I had first put on heels today, and here I stood, watching the clock ticking away as I waited for the attendant at coat check to return. It was 11:30pm and the gala was still going full swing. I had two drinks, numerous conversations with the wife's and daughters of snooty business men, and one dance that I had promised Caden, but just one.

I couldn't wait to get out of here, throw off these heels, rip off this suffocating dress, and take a hot shower before falling into bed. It's been a whole ten minutes and the attendant still had yet to return from his break, as stated on the sign on the brown desk in front of me. Back in five minutes my ass, I think to myself, annoyed.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts when I hear someone clear their throat behind me, causing me to straighten up and glance back quickly. I'm greeted by the familiar brown eyes that I kept meeting throughout dinner and the night.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Asa chuckled, with his hands stuffed into the pocket of his dress pants. I catch myself eyeing his body and quickly stop, meeting his eyes with my own once again.

"You didn't, it's fine," I sigh, smiling at him. He seemed like a nice guy, then again, don't they all? I recall the conversation at the table, about how Asa has recently moved to New York City from Los Angeles to take over as CEO of an investment company much like my father's. In fact, now that I think of it, it's the first time that I've ever heard my father venture out in investments with other companies as partners rather than buyouts.

"How long has it been?" Asa questions, cocking a brow as he nods towards the sign on the desk. I look back at the desk, annoyed once more as I think of how long the attendant is taking, keeping me from getting out of here.

"Over ten minutes," I respond with a soft sigh, showing my disappointment. I wasn't usually like this, but I've felt down all day, and all I wanted since I got here was to leave.

I watch as Asa pursues his lips together for a moment, thinking before moving past me and around the desk, into the coat check room. I stare at him, just watching until he pauses, turning back to me, with a questioning look.

"What's your coat look like?" he asks, a bright smile on his face. I couldn't help but notice the twinkle in his eyes, the playing expression he had on his face giving me the sense that he serious about going back there.

I hesitate, as a natural rule follower would, but quickly follow him, walking down the rows of coats until I find my own. I pull it off of the rack, confirming it is my own by looking at the number tag. 217, it reads, and I recall that it matches the tag they had given me when I arrived. I pull it off of the hanger, sticking the hanger back where I got it from, and walking back out into the large foyer.

Asa stands before me, adjusting the his coat before holding his hand out for me to hand him my coat. I can't help but smile, handing him my coat and turning around so that he can help me put it on. Just as I slip my arms through the jacket and he places it over my shoulders, my attention goes to the couple that is walking right past us, laughing.

Of course, it's none other than Caden, sporting a pretty blonde wearing a light pink dress. They're clearly leaving together, and I simply watch as they exit the building. He has always had a thing for blondes, not that I should care anyways. It's not like I should expect him to behave any differently considering we were supposed to be here together. He can be himself, yet here I was, against my will, as his date, that he practically forced on me by going behind my back to my father. But that's just business.

"Isn't that...?" Asa trails off, clearly confused. I'm suddenly embarrassed, and I turn around quickly, so his hands were no longer resting on my shoulders. His eyes meet my own, for the thousandth time tonight, and I could tell that he was feeling sympathetic towards me.