ch. 45 | Distractions

CASSANDRA'S POV

Asa 10:02am
Hey baby. Everything alright? You usually respond almost immediately

Cassandra 10:04am
Oh sorry! I read your message and then got a little distracted. Lunch might not happen today :( I'll let you know in a bit. Love you 

As soon as I send the message, I shove my phone back into my purse. I'm sitting on top of the hospital bed and every move I make causes the paper laid on top of the bed to crinkle. I absolutely hate the noise and my patience is wearing thin with how long they are taking to get the papers back to me.

I guess I should be thankful that they were able to take me in almost immediately. I'm just so frustrated that Zac would pull something like this that everything is annoying me today. With a deep breath, I close my eyes, trying to relax. The doctor already told me that everything looked good and that I should be cleared as soon as a few tests she ran came back from the lab, including a drug test. 

Fucking Zac. I am so fucking angry that he would do something like this. He knows that I will pass these tests with flying colors. I can't wait to get cleared and bust into his office. He truly deserves a piece of my mind. Part of me wants to go and talk to my father about this, but knowing him, he could care less about what Zac has done and will likely turn this on me somehow. 

After a few moments, there is a knock on the door, causing me to sit up straight and open my eyes just as the door opens. The doctor smiles at me as she steps back into the room, holding up the signed papers. I feel relieved almost immediately, although I am still angry. Although I didn't think that anything would be wrong, I was still terrified as coming to the doctor always makes me nervous. Who doesn't get nervous at a doctor's visit?

"Here you go, Cassandra. Everything looks good for the mental and physical wellness. You are cleared from me to get back to work. The other tests just came back as well and one of my residents will be here in just a few moments with that paperwork as well," the doctor informs me as I take the papers from her hand. 

"Thank you," I smile at her, looking through the signed papers to make sure that all the required information, signatures, etc. are present. The last thing I would want right now is to have to come back because of something like that being missed. With a few short words, the doctor steps out again.

Only a couple of minutes later is there a knock on the door again and someone steps inside. As soon as I look up from the papers, my smile is suddenly gone. 

"Hi Miss—" she trails off, looking up from the papers in her hands to make eye contact with me. "Cassandra?" 

"Hi Lauren," I give her a weak smile, having completely forgotten that she was working at this hospital. Honestly, I hadn't talked to Lauren since everything happened, mainly because I didn't know what to say. I wasn't mad at her, but slightly disappointed that she felt that she couldn't trust me to tell me the truth. But maybe she hadn't because she wanted Asa too? I don't know. 

"Listen, if this is weird or something...I can get another doctor to go over this with you," she tells me, clearly just as stunned to see me as I am to see her. She glances down at the file in her hand, before glancing back out the door. "It's really not a big deal. I would understand...I'm sorry I didn't call or text you. I thought giving you some space would be better, especially while you worked things out with Asa." 

I shake my head quickly, understanding why she wouldn't have called me. What would she even say? Sorry that I made you think that I had a child with your boyfriend when I really just married his brother and hid the fact that I was a mom? I can't even imagine going through what she had, therefore, I can't be one to judge her.