ch. 24 | Nicknames

CASSANDRA'S POV

As soon as the ceremony ends, I excuse myself and hurry inside, needing to get away from everyone around me. My head is hurting and I still feel weak. There are already a few people making their way inside, so I decide to go upstairs.

I find a small area with a few seats and quickly plop down on one of the cushioned benches. My hands are shaking as I open my purse, searching for a Xanax. I haven't had to take one in a long time, but I almost always have one tucked away in each of my bags in case I ever need it.

Thankfully, there's one hidden in an inside zipper that I quickly pop into my mouth, shallowing it right away without water. I press my elbow down on the armrest, bringing my fingers up to my forehead and supporting my head up.

I knew my life was messy, but lately it's been a storm. Today is definitely the worst of it. I genuinely don't think it could get worse than this.

After sitting for a few minutes, I stand up, smoothing out my dress and taking a few deep breaths. I feel better already, probably due to the Xanax. I walk around the bench, running my fingers through my hair.

Just as I turn towards the door frame that leads into the room, I notice someone's leaning against the door frame. My eyes quickly flicker up from the ground and I still.

I take him in. All of him. The light brown locks, the bright green eyes, his chiseled jaw, the perfect teeth, sly grin. It's the first time I'm seeing him in three years, and he looks impeccable. I didn't think he could look better than when I last saw him, but he does.

We're staring at each other. Mostly me staring while his eyes roam over me. When they're finally back on my own, I part my lips to say something but nothing comes out.

"Cassie," he whispers, kicking himself off of the door frame and beginning to walk towards me. His voice is rough and sends chills down my body. I get the urge to itch myself because I want the feeling to stop. I don't move, but rather just watch as he walks up to me.

If I hadn't already seen him during the wedding, I wouldn't believe that he was real right now. After all this time, he's here.

"How've you been? You look great, Cas," he coos. He's so close that I can practically taste the minty gum that he's chewing just by the scent. He steps up to me and slowly wraps his arms around me and pulls me into a hug. My hands lift, pressing against his back, but he's more into the hug than I am.

"Ethan," I murmur, pulling my head back stiffly. His arms slowly unwrap from me, and he peaks down at my face, brushing my hairs out of my face.

I don't like it. I don't like that he just did that because it reminds me of Asa. But I don't say anything. I can never say anything to him.

"I'm glad to see you're doing well. Really, you look...really really good," Ethan places his hand on my upper arm, then running it down to my hand.

As soon as he takes it, I jerk it away from him. What is with all of the men in my life? They really think they can just touch me like that? I feel suffocated in this room now.

"Thanks. If you could excuse me, my date's waiting," I mutter, trying to side step around and past him. As soon as I step to the side, he does the same, blocking my way around him.

"What? Three years and that's all I get?" Ethan says teasingly. I shake my head, not interested in having this conversation right now. If it wasn't for the Xanax, I wouldn't even be able to stand right now.

I don't bother responding to him, but instead try once again to get around him. Again, he doesn't allow me to.

"Cassie, you can give me five minutes," Ethan says sharply. I look up at him, narrowing my eyes slightly.