ch. 56 | Break My Heart

CASSANDRA'S POV

The laugh that comes from Ethan disgusts me, and even more when I feel it vibrate through his body. He needs to back away from me, but he's got me cornered against my desk, and I'm too scared to shove him away more than I already have. My wrists are burning from the tight grip he had on them, but I'm trying to hold myself together.

"You're so pathetic Cassandra. Do you really think that Camara and I have been just friends all these years? For fucks sake, you were the girl who never dropped her panties, but Camara was the first to always do so, for anyone. You know that very well, and it never occurred to you that she did the same with me?" Ethan shakes his head, almost as if he can't understand my stupidity.

His words hurt. Badly. All those years ago, she had slept with him behind my back and I never came to realize it? Oh hell. I really am as stupid as he says.

"Are you done?" I grit my teeth together, wanting him to get out of here. My heart hurts, but I don't want to show him anymore emotion that I already have. If I do, I'm afraid that I may just breakdown, and I don't want that either.

"Just getting started, beautiful," Ethan leans forward, bringing his face too close to mine. "Beautiful...it's incredibly insane how much you resemble your mother. Looks. Smart...when it comes to books. Incredibly stupid when it comes to men. And a dirty little whore."

Ethan brings his hand down to my cheek, gently brushing it with the back of his knuckles. I reach up and swat his hand away, which only makes him laugh again. When he finally stops, his face is so serious that I don't know what kind of joke the world is playing on me, but I know it's well past funny.

"You had one job and it was to keep yourself from getting knocked up, but of course, you couldn't even do that properly. I came back for you and let you fuck around and do whatever the hell you wanted to get it out of your system, but you just had to go and spread your legs for him, didn't you? The rich, powerful man who just so happens to be your dead daddy's partner?"

I clench my jaw, holding back from speaking as anger courses through me. I never get angry like this, but I feel hot and so upset that I want nothing more than to actually slap him and have him escorted out of this office. If Ethan thinks that he can continue to walk all over me like he used to, he is so wrong.

"Get out, Ethan. You're doing nothing more than talking shit about crap you don't even know. So get the hell out of here," I mutter, reaching behind me to grab my office phone and call security.

Ethan catches on too quickly, because his hands grab each of my arms again, pinning them next to me against the edge of the desk. His action is rough, and I wince again as the edge of the desk presses into my skin.

"No. Shut the hell up and listen to me. You're just like her, don't you fucking understand? I can't believe..." he groans, shaking his head as if he's the one who deserves to be frustrated with this situation. "A dirty whore who gets knocked up by the person she's not supposed to be with. Just like your mom, Cassandra."

Ethan reaches into his jacket point, bringing out a small diary that is identical to the one I had sitting in my apartment. The one I was looking for everywhere. My mom's diary. Why does he have that? 

I close my eyes, taking a deep breath as the gears start turning in my head. Ethan. Camara. Diary. My mom?

"What are you talking about Ethan? Just fucking say it," I let out, my voice breaking as I speak. I know that the words that are going to come out of his mouth are going to break my heart, but I need to hear it. I just don't know if I can believe it.

"Do I need to? I think you know exactly why you look nothing like Blake, and why he hated you so much. It had nothing to do with losing his wife to cancer, but rather the fact that you were a replica of her. A reminder of her betrayal," Ethan smirks, giving me a light shove against the desk as he steps back, dropping the diary onto my desk.

"You're no longer of use to me. I hope that you come to realize that you fucked up just like she did. I could have given you the life you wanted, and the one you deserved. Our social circles have always loved me, and no matter what, they'll never accept him, because he's an outsider. He may have money now, but he grew up dirt poor, and because of that, your pathetic child will suffer the consequences. They'll never be accepted. If only they knew about you, because surely they would have never accepted the fact that you were a product of an affair, and not actually a Rhodes."

My hand flies out, slapping Ethan across the face as tears well in my eyes. I don't want to believe what he says about my mom is true, but it feels like it is with how calmly the words come from his mouth. But Ethan's a liar, and there's no way of me knowing if what he said was true.

"Get out! Now! I'm calling security," I yell at him as I grab my phone, hitting the button straight down to our security office.

"No need. I'm leaving," Ethan gives me a dirty grin that makes my stomach churn as he buttons his suit jacket and shoves his hands into his pockets. "I think you should call your brother instead. He'll give you even more dirty details than I know, I'm sure."

My hand shakes as I go to put the phone back down, hearing the voice on the other end of the line but not listening any longer. Zac? Zac knew about this and didn't tell me? Why?

I watch as Ethan leaves, as if nothing happened in here, when in reality, he just flipped my entire life and being. I'm shaking as I walk to the door, following behind his exit out of the room, and I don't realize it at first, but soon enough, I've yanked off my heels and I'm running to find Zac.

- - -
a/n:

first, thank you all for the support. I really appreciate it. I'm so sorry for the delay (it's been almost a month, but I just could not write for the life of me. my motivation was gone after my graduation, and then I started working, and whew my life has been a little crazy!)

but I'm back :) I'm excited for the next chapter. this one was hard to write, and I'm not very happy with it, but I need to move onto the next bcus there's some stuff I've been looking forward to in the next few.

again, thank you for your patience, and please continue to vote :) it makes all the difference for new authors like me (and encourages me to write and give y'all some bonus content ;))