ch. 13 | Gift

CASSANDRA'S POV

My head jerked up at the sound of a knock at the door. I was sprawled out on the couch, watching a recording of the latest episode of The Bachelorette. It was Tuesday afternoon and I had missed the episode last night, and so had Camara.

Monday nights are always girls night, and if it's the season for The Bachelor or Bachelorette, that's what we are always watching with a glass of wine and snacks. But for some odd reason, Camara had cancelled last night, which was obscene since she never cancelled on girls night. Part of me felt like it might have been because of Zac, and the mere thought of it had put me out of the mood and I decided not to watch last night.

I scrambled up off of the couch, tossing the throw blanket off of me as I walked over to the door, wondering who it was considering I wasn't expecting anyone. I was still in my pajamas, so I was thankful that there wasn't anyone there, but opened the door anyways.

There was a champagne colored gift box on my doormat, with a large bow and an envelope. With a puzzled look, I stepped out and glanced up and down the hall, but whoever had dropped it off was gone. Weird, I thought, picking up the box and closing the door behind me. After I locked up, I walked over to my dining table, setting the box down and picking up the envelope.

As soon as I read the card, I relaxed a bit, because it was a mistake. Whoever sent this didn't mean to drop it off here because it was addressed to someone named Lauren, and I didn't even know a Lauren. Luckily, I can probably contact this person easily, seeing that there are two phone numbers printed onto the stationary. An office line and a fax number, but unfortunately, nothing that could tell me who sent it.

I grab my cell phone off of my coffee table, quickly dialing the number and holding the phone to my ear. As soon as the first ring went through, someone answered.

"Cassandra," I heard his deep voice on the other end of the line. His voice was sweet, and I could tell that he was probably smiling.

"Asa?" I whisper, slightly confused as to why it went to his line, why he would send me a package addressed to someone else, and also how he knew where I lived.

"I see you got my package," he said, his tone soft. I couldn't help but feel my heart melt at his voice. Snap out of it, I reminded myself, knowing very well the last thing I needed was to see him in that way. Sure, he made me feel a certain kind of way, but that definitely didn't mean that anything was going to happen. I wouldn't allow it.

"How did you get my address? Also, I think you may have confused me for another girl because I sure as hell am not Lauren," I say timidly into the phone. I don't know why I was being mean, but I didn't understand, and I hate surprises. Plus, a selfish little part of me doesn't like the thought that he might just have sent me something meant for someone else.

"Relax, Cas," I hear him say with a soft laugh on the other end of the line. His words alone made my timid body do exactly what he says. My shoulders relax and I find myself walking back over to the box, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"It's for you. I knew you would call looking for Lauren, and now I have your number. As for your address, we're partners now, remember?," he continues, and I purse my lips together. He's right. He has access to anything and everything now, nearly as much as my father, perhaps more than me considering I'm not technically a partner yet. Not until my father signs the release of assets to myself and Zac.

I balance the phone between my ear and shoulder, cocking my head to the side so it doesn't fall as I push the note to the side, feeling the silky material of the bow that's sitting perfectly on the box. It's soft and smooth between my fingers, and I although I don't realize it, I'm smiling.

He sent me something. And he's funny. It's refreshing. So so refreshing. I can't even remember the last time I got a present, or something delivered to me like this.

"Cas? Are you there?" I hear him on the other end of the line, gaining my attention. Oh gosh, he was probably talking and I was completely distracted by what's in front of me right now.

"I'm here," I mumble softly as I pull the end of the satin bow, watching it fall apart in front of me. As soon as I lift up the magnetic lid, my jaw drops.

"Asa, you didn't," I whisper into the phone. I'm so shocked right now, I don't even know what to say. In the box is a brand new pair of black jimmy choo pumps, exactly the same as the ones I had wore to Zac's party. The same shoes that are probably still in the corner my old bedroom after being ruined from walking in the wet, muddy.

"I'm pretty sure those are the right ones, and I figured you were a six and a half, but if you need to exchange them, let me know," he speaks up, bringing me from my thoughts again.

"I can't believe you got these. They haven't sold this exact shoe in years," I continue, my voice probably higher than usual. I don't know why I feel so emotional. Probably because the person who had bought me these isn't here anymore, and what Asa just did was more than just some grand gesture.

He doesn't say anything in return, but he doesn't have to. My smile is so big that it hurts, and I don't mind, at all. I can't remember the last time I felt like this. I can't even remember the last time I felt this happy about something. I was treading on dangerous grounds with him, and I knew that.

"Hey Cas? Let me call you back," Asa suddenly says, before the line cuts off. I find myself frowning, and even more so when the phone rings again, and I see the same number I just called show up as caller ID. I answer right away, confused as to why he hung up just to call back seconds later.

"Hello?"

"Hey Cassandra, it's Asa. I just came across your number. Now that I've called, when are you free for that date you promised?," Asa asks in a very teasing tone.

Oh, he's good. He's really fucking good. And although I fight him on it, I'm still in awe at his grand gesture and I don't have it in me to argue with him. I don't want to.

"Oh, really? Well, if that's the case, I'm free tomorrow night," I grin, even though I know he can't see me. This is so unlike me that I don't even know how to stop myself. The way I'm acting, the way I'm feeling, and even the way that I'm speaking right now is all new. I have no idea where this is all coming from, but I know it's because of him.

"Well then, I guess I'll pick you up at 6 then. Wear something casual and warm," I hear him say. I bite down on my lip, hard, picturing him sitting in his office right now. I shut my eyes, taking a shaky breath before speaking again.

"Okay. I'll see you then," I agree for the first time. I promised him, and he deserved one date with me. What harm could one date do anyways?

I'm ready to hang up on him, knowing that it's the end of our conversation, but he suddenly speaks up again.

"Oh and Cassandra? I had your number the whole time. I just wanted you to call," he laughs, before hanging up. God, his laugh. It's on repeat in my head and I can't get it to stop. Who the hell has a sexy laugh?!

I sigh, plopping down in one of the chairs, putting my phone down on the table. I stare at the heels sitting in the box, putting my chin in my hands with my elbows on the table.

As much as I like being around him, and as nice as he's been, I know it would never work. Not because of him, but because of me. I don't have it in me to go through the heartbreak, and I surely know that even if I wanted to try, it would never work.

He's going to be in my life as a partner to Rhodes Enterprises forever, simple. He works with my father and Zac, and if they got even a whiff of what has already happened between us, both of our asses will be on the line somehow. I can't risk them wedging me out of the company even more than already have, and I won't.

Plus, even if a part of me likes him, I knew it could never be more than that. Like eventually turns to love and love always turns to heartbreak, and I'm not putting myself through that ridiculous crap again.