ch. 37 | Family

ASA'S POV

The knock on the door gets my full attention and I take three long strides before swinging it open. "You didn't answer any of my fucking messages," I growl, narrowing my eyes at Lauren as I block her way into the apartment.

"Yeah sorry, my phone died and I wasn't going to wait for it to charge after getting out of the surgery. I haven't even showered yet. Thanks for watching him...is he asleep?" the blonde with pink scrubs coos as she practically pushes me aside, strutting into my penthouse as if she owns the place.

She's so fucking annoying right now. It's the middle of the night, and Lauren already has a very infuriating personality to begin with. She's too nice, too bubbly, and always talks a lot, but not about the right things apparently.

"So you didn't see any of my messages?" I slam the door behind her, which makes her spin around and stare at me in shock. My hands are in fists next to me and I can feel my knuckles going white. I'm so fucking angry, mainly at myself, but also because of the awful position Lauren put me in.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Keep it down or you'll wake him," she whispers, shaking her head at me as she takes in my distraught expression and probably radiating anger. Her face falls as her eyebrows come together in confusion. "Wait, what happened?"

"You happened, Lauren. Cassandra fucking showed up here and..." I shake my head at her, taking a deep breath to calm myself down. I really need to punch something right now. I wish I really had gotten that stupid punching bag that one of the guys from the boxing gym had recommended to me. "You should have seen her face."

I slowly unclench my fists, running one of my hands over my face. "God, if I lose her because of you and your stupid little secret, I swear Lauren..."

I don't even want to think about that. Cassandra is the only good thing to have happened to me in the last few years. I would easily give up everything else for her. Seeing her face today was the worst thing I've ever experienced next to having her walk away from me.

"Excuse me? How is it my fault that she showed up here?" Lauren suddenly speaks up again, and I immediately glare at her, my hands returning to fists next to me. "Wait...she saw Andrew?"

I take in the sympathetic look my friend is now giving me, and I give her another nod, swallowing. "Yeah. She saw him. She didn't give me a chance to explain and she stormed out of here."

Lauren stares at me for a few moments before speaking up again. "You do know what it looks like, right? She's probably so hurt," she chokes out as if she's the one who's heart broke, when in reality, I broke Cassandra's heart, and she in return broke mine. "Did you go after her? You have to tell her everything. She probably hates me now, too."

Of course I knew what it looked like. I knew exactly what Cassandra was thinking. From the way she looked between me and Andrew, there's no doubt what went on in her mind.

I shake my head, slowly walking into the kitchen and pouring myself a drink. It's four in the morning, and the last thing I wanted to do was drink, but I didn't get a chance to calm my nerves earlier because Andrew was around. I don't think drinking around a little kid is a good idea, and then even after he fell asleep, I didn't want to when I was alone with him for the very first time.

"I couldn't. I can't just storm out with Andrew here, and she won't answer any of my calls or messages," I mutter, swallowing the bit of whiskey I poured into my glass in one giant gulp.

Lauren frowns, slowly walking into the kitchen and leaning against the other side of island, facing me. "She'll understand. You will explain everything, and she'll forgive you. Cassandra is an understanding person and she's too sweet for her own good."