Chapter 11 - Note

I wrote a note down after she gave me the idea. I wrote:

"Luke,

I know that you may not want to be in the baby's life, but I need you. I'm going to be a mum no matter what, but you have the choice to be there as the dad or not to be in the child's life at all. I really hope you choose the right thing.

I've been juggling school, practicing my flute, work, and appointments. Practicing flute is a big part in my schedule because that could help get me a scholarship to a college. Those four things take up all of my time, so once I have the baby, most appointments won't matter anymore, but I'll still be juggling the three other things. I could play my flute for the baby to calm it down because it has a soft sound. Then, I can do schoolwork while it's sleeping or napping. I could have Charlotte keep the baby while I'm at work. I guess it might work, but it would help to have you.

Another thing is, the baby's gender. It's a girl; Miss Hemmings. I like to think that she's a Hemmings. I attached a copy of the ultrasound I had today. I'm now nineteen and a half weeks.

I'm sorry I am writing this letter instead of calling and talking to you, but I just can't bring myself to do that. I don't mean to make you feel bad, but what you said hurt me terribly. I can't look at you in public without thinking about what you said. Even though I think that, I need you in my life and the baby's life. I hope you understand. If you want to talk, go ahead and call me.

Love,

Hannah <3"

I folded it into thirds, then put it in an envelope. I also put a copy of my ultrasound into the envelope. I closed the envelope, and wrote "Luke" on it.

Charlotte and I drove over to Luke's house and taped it to his front door. I rang the doorbell so he would see it right away. I ran into the car, and we sped off. We drove back home and waited for a call or something from Luke.

A few minutes later, I got a call from his house phone. I picked it up and said, "Hello? Luke?"

"Um, no.. This is Liz. I read the letter.. I didn't know it was for Luke," She apologized.

"Oh, that's okay," I assured her.

"But, you're pregnant? And almost twenty weeks? When did this happen? You were never with Luke.." She was confused.

"Well, it was at this one party of his my friend took me to. The New Years party of his," My voice trailed off, not wanting to give away any more details.

"Oh. So I'm going to be a grandmother?" She seemed excited, which confused me because of the contrast from her former angry-sounding words.

"Yeah, you will be. I'm glad you're excited, because my parents definitely weren't," I sighed, trying to hold back tears.

"What happened, sweetie?" She wondered.

"My parents kicked me out.. I'm living with my friend now," I explained.

"Sweetie.. I'm so sorry. And you kept saying about what Luke told you and that it hurt you. What did he say?"

"He told me that he couldn't be a father.. He said he wouldn't have time, and that he was only seventeen."

"Well.. I will surely talk to him about that. I'll make sure he gets the letter, too," she assured me.

"Okay. Thank you, Liz."

"You're welcome," she said, and we hung up.

I couldn't wait until she talked to Luke and gave him the letter. I want him to read it, and I want him to tell me how he felt once he read it.