Chapter 9 - I Can't...

"Hey.. Luke, this is Hannah," I sighed, answering his cheery "Hello!"

"Hannah Smith?" He questioned. I nodded, but then realized I had to respond verbally.

"Yeah.." I told him.

"Oh, hey Hannah! How are you?" He wondered.

"I'm okay.. How about you?" I returned the question.

"I'm great. We just got into London yesterday, and we have our first show tonight. I'm excited yet nervous," he sounded to be way too excited.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. So what were you calling about?" He seemed to be excited that I called.

"I- um, well," I stuttered, "Do you remember the New Years party?"

"Yeah. I thought we said we'd forget about it, though," He tried to dismiss the question.

"We can't forget about it now.." I said, risking a bad response.

"What?" I could tell he was confused by the sound of his voice.

"Luke, I- I'm pregnant," I paused, "With your child." He said nothing after that.

"Luke.. I-" I started.

"Hannah, I'm sorry," He apologized.

"Luke, it's okay, it's just-" I started, but he cut me off one more.

"No, Hannah, it's not okay. I- I can't be a father.. I hardly even know you and I'm having a child with you? That's crazy! I- I can't do this, Hannah.. I'm sorry," he finished.

"And I'm going to be a seventeen year old Mum! Do you think I'm happy about that? Well, I'm not, and the only way I'll get through this is with you!"

"I just can't, Hannah.." He said.

"Can't what?" I screamed into the phone, but he was gone. He had hung up already.

I hung up the phone, and Charlotte asked how it went. I began crying, and she pulled me into a hug.

"What did he say?" She wondered.

"He told me he just can't do it. He can't be a father."

"Hannah," Charlotte comforted, "He will come back to you, okay? He won't do this to you."

"He's already done enough," I said, then stuffed my face into my pillow.

Charlotte just sat beside me and rubbed my back. She said, "Hannah, don't say that. He'll fix this. He'll realize his mistake and call back, I know it."

"Well I'm not talking to him again, so he can't fix his mistake."

"You're going to talk to him sometime, Hannah. You have to talk to him at some point," She pointed out. "You're pregnant with his child, so you'll have to talk to him sometime."

"I know.. I just don't want to talk to him right now, okay?"

"Fine.." She agreed.

After that, we stopped talking about Luke for a little bit. I never wanted to talk to him again. He's the father of the baby I'm carrying, and he doesn't care at all. He can't be a father at the age of seventeen when I'm going to be a Mum at seventeen whatever I do. I can't transfer the baby to another girls stomach and say that it's not mine. But there are two other things I can do: abort or adoption. I don't want to abort. That is cruel. I don't want to put the baby up for adoption either. I mean, how can I? The baby is mine. I did have an idea, though..