Exiled (Mark and Jack) (Part 4)

Start from the beginning

Mark found himself smiling softly as he let a hand rest beside the human, but just close enough to note what a poor amount of body heat the small body emitted. He dared to move his hand closer, laying it over the human with so much caution that his hand trembled before resting over him.

"Oh you're still cold," Mark quietly murmured. However, he quickly pulled it away when he felt the tiny muscles shift against him, and he watched as Jack's consciousness fluttered awake in reaction to his voice. Mark ducked his head a bit lower to try and make sure he didn't tower, and with childlike wonder he watched as the human woke up.

Jack groaned and rubbed one side of his head before slowly sitting up. He did note with confusion the lack of lights, as well as the increased protests of the storm outside, but it was when he turned and saw Mark's shadowed silhouette illuminated by another ominous roll of lightning, up close and watching him from just beyond the edge of the bed, that he let out a surprised yell and backpedaled, favouring his good leg.

"It's okay! It's okay." Mark quickly leaned further back, offering his hands up with palms open in a placate gesture. "I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean to scare you, it's just... The power went out." He sheepishly gestured at the lights that were suppose to be on, and Jack simply blinked, staring at him with wide blue eyes that, Mark noted, shimmered in the darkness of the storm. There was still an undeniable film of lethargy over them, especially as he watched Jack slowly ease up from his tense position and breathe out an anxious sigh. Mark swallowed, and then shifted back over to the edge of the bed.

"Are you... Okay? I didn't hurt something, did I?" Jack let out a shaky breath. Should he answer? Play dumb? Mute? What would ensure his best chance of survival here? "I um... I wanted to check up on you, after the power-out," Mark continued, "It can get pretty cold with the lights off, especially since it's bedtime." Damn it, why did he have to mention the cold? Jack shivered and crossed his arms, wincing as his hurt arm's hand shook with effort. "Amy's got blankets in the living room, and we can make hot cocoa or tea or something if you want," the giant offered. He then stalled for a pause, and let out a sigh. "I guess what I'm trying to say is... Since the storm is really bad out, and you're injured, can I move you to the living room?"

Move me??? Jack felt the chilling sensation somehow double as he froze. His mind had rewinded, back to the restaurant, back to that horrid chef's cursing and swinging hands trying to grab him, to when Mark did grab him. His breath went fast and shallow, and he felt hot and cold tingles spread from head to toe, his mind's eye locked on to that huge hand that had grabbed him effortlessly, dragging him away from his one chance at escape, tightening all around him like snakes suffocating and crushing him, his lungs, his breath, his very pleading thoughts for relief or some kind of escape as they raced on like freight trains crashing into one another—

"Hey." Jack jolted when he realized Mark was laying his head down on the bed, one cheek pressed into the folds of the covers as he went as close to eye level as he could think of with the human. "I don't have to hold you, if that's what you're worried about. I can go find a-a basket, or something. The plate, or... I don't know, but," the giant closed his eyes momentarily before looking right into Jack's eyes. "I'm really sorry about what I did," he murmured, "I let my own stupidity get in the way of your well-being, and... I should have done better. I should have asked for permission to pick you up, or-or to help you, or anything." Jack looked like he didn't even remember how to blink as Mark gave a soft exhale, which lightly ruffled the human's shaggy hair. "I know apologizing doesn't make up for anything, or change your mind or how you feel. But I needed to anyway because I was wrong. I've been complacent in just sitting back and letting humans suffer while we reap the benefits, and that is unacceptable... Because you're people too." Something about Mark's words made Jack's spine shiver. Or maybe it was his tone of voice. But he sounded... Serious. Genuine. And as he stared back at the giant, he could see the same reflected in those soft caramel eyes— no malice, no scheming, or false optimism clouded the natural light that eyes usually held.