Ch 38: Responsible

Start from the beginning

        Kelly slowly smiled at her sister, "I'd love that."

                                                                        *****

        Within hours, they were pulling up, Peter behind them in his own car. He felt happiness inside that he'd reunited the family, and he hoped inside that Francine and Mrs. Domonic would find joy in their hearts over what Kelly had accomplished.

        He watched as she led them inside, and they followed her eagerly, as if entering a portal to a whole new world. Their faces remained placid, but their eyes glowed with curiosity. They watched women walking around, most of them older than Kelly, some younger or the same age. They dodged children who ran around, played tag, or carried infants or toddlers.

        The house was buzzing with activity, especially with the evening nearing and dinner getting ready to be served in the dining hall.

        "Kelly!" a voice said, startling Francine and Polly.

        "Wesley! How were things while I was gone?"

        "Hecktic," he replied, keeping at least two feet between himself and Kelly. "We had another birth while you were gone, though."

        "Jane? She delivered already? She wasn't due for another two weeks! Did everything go alright?"

        "Yes. She'll be home later tonight. She delivered not long after you left. Brady Joseph, eight pounds, two ounces, and 14 inches long."

        Kelly put her hand to her heart and smiled, "That's so beautiful. I can't wait to meet him. I'll prepare her bedroom with fresh sheets and blankets in the crib. How's dinner coming along?"

        "Mom's got it cooking with the help of Laura and Tabitha."

        "Tabitha is here? I didn't expect her until this weekend! Tell her to come out here to meet my family," Kelly directed, "Oh! By the way, this is my mother, Polly, and my older sister, Francine."

        "Nice to meet you," Wesley said, "I'm Wes. Kelly's friend and getaway driver," he chuckled, but remained unmoving. Polly and Fred exchanged greetings, then Wes left to retrieve Tabitha.

        "Peter, can you help in the kitchen?" Tabitha asked when she walked out, "Laura said to send someone and since you're just standing there--"

        "Yeah, I'll go," Peter said, mussing up his sister's hair as he walked by.

        "Mom, Francine, this is Peter's younger sister, Tabitha. Tabby or Tabs for short."

        "Nice to meet you!" Tabitha said, going in for a hug. "I've heard so much about you--not...Kelly's kindof private towards us, except for Peter. She'll tell that boy anything!"

        Kelly playfully mussed up her hair, then told her to go set the table. Meanwhile, Polly and Fred were aghast and in awe at how responsible Kelly was in handling everything that was going on around them. They followed her up to Jane's bedroom and watched as Kelly put new bedsheets on with great ease.

        "If you've done it as many times as I have, you get good at it," she siad with a smirk.

        "Kelly," her mother said, stopping her for a second, "Can I just say how PROUD I am of you? You're so responsible and kind and--when did you become such a wonderful housekeeper? When did you find the...well...I--"

        "It's okay, Ma. Um...At my last house, actually. A man named Derek...I was his housekeeper, maid, and, well..."

        Francine was a few feet away, fighting tears.

        "What's wrong, Fred?" Kelly asked quietly, after noticing her.

        "I--I just..." Fred stammered, "I wish I was as good a person as you, Kelly..."

        "What do you mean?"

        "I did horrible things while you were gone...Not physically, but--but..." she stopped for a second, taking in a deep breath, "I kicked Trace out. I told him he was dead to me, that--that I never wanted to see him again...I told him it was all his fault you were gone and--and now that you're okay, and safe, I just...I wish I could take it all back. I was such a jerk to him and--"

        Kelly slowly walked over and hugged her sister, "Don't worry, Francine," she said quietly, almost just to her, "I'm sure he doesn't blame you. I'm sure he's fine, and that he'll be back someday."

        She said the words, but she didn't fully believe them herself. She hoped that it was true, and that Trace would return to her soon, being her only brother, but she wasn't sure. For all she knew, he could be halfway around the world, trying to forget...or dead.