🖤 T H I R T Y - O N E 🖤

🖤 Chapter Thirty-One: Deadline 🖤

🖤🖤🖤

After what happened with our parents last week, I haven't gone outside. The police arrested both of them, and we were taken to the hospital to assess any injuries. I've been glued to Izaya's side ever since. I haven't been able to sleep for the past week. Everything going on was just... it was too much.

Today was Monday. It's been over a month since I've been out of school, and October was growing closer with not even a week left... And less than three weeks before the deadline...

I didn't know what was going to happen to me. I still hadn't said anything to Izaya about it. Or anyone. I felt my eyes sting, my lips quivering as I hid under my bed blankets. I just wanted to scream. I wanted to run away. But I couldn't... 

News went around town about what happened with our parents.

"Business Icons Kyouko and Shirou Orihara have been charged with Second Degree Attempted Murder of 23-year-old Izaya Orihara, and the Attempted Kidnapping of 16-year-old Inra Orihara. Officials state that during the assault, Inra Orihara was held at gunpoint by Shirou Orihara while their mother, Kyouko Orihara attempted to murder their son. Thankfully, both siblings managed to escape relatively uninjured with only a few cuts and bruises. During an interview with Inra Orihara, it was found out that she ran away from their home to quote, 'escape from that terrible place', and only met her previously missed brother after seven long years of being apart. Izaya Orihara refused to comment on the matter and instead sat by his sister's side."

I felt myself tense hearing a knock on my bedroom door. A voice called from the other side as they opened it. "Inra. You know you can't stay in there forever. Come eat."

I sunk deeper into my blankets, hugging the stuffed bear Izaya got me to my chest, "I'm not hungry."

There was silence before the blankets covering me were pulled back. I was curled up in a ball, laying in the center of the bed as I clutched the bear. 

"Inra... Come on. You have to eat something."

I frowned, my back facing Izaya. "I'm not hungry." My voice was quiet.

I heard him sigh and the corner of the bed sunk from another form of weight. "Inra... It's been a week. The only time you leave this room is when you go to the bathroom. You hardly go out to eat."

I didn't say anything.

"Can you at least look at me?"

I didn't move. Not for a while. I felt Izaya stand from the corner of my bed. I assumed he left, but that thought was discarded when I saw him crouch down in front of me. 

He smiled a bit. "It's been a while since I've seen you. Why are you hiding away in here?"

I shrugged my shoulder a bit as I mumbled, "I don't know..."

"All right, then... How about a movie? We used to watch movies all the time, remember?"

I didn't nod, but I remembered. Horror movies were his favorite to watch. I preferred action movies. I remember when he said we would be watching an action movie, but he tricked me and put in a horror movie instead. He laughed when I got scared and began crying. I was always crying over something as a little girl.

I lost my toy. I missed Izaya. I got hurt. I didn't get what I wanted. I got bullied. Something sad happened. I got excited. I got happy. 

I cried over everything.

I'm beginning to feel like that little girl again.

Helpless. Small. Weak. Vulnerable. Afraid. 

My lips began to quiver, and my eyes stung with fresh tears. Tears rolled down the side of my face and onto my bed, the tears from my right eye falling over my nose into my left- burning it even more.

I just wanted it all to be over. 

🖤🖤🖤

Friday.

That was today.

The last day of September.

The first day of October.

And my last day of safety.

The deadline was here. The deadline to get Izaya to join the Ophidians. 

They knew. They knew I hadn't told Izaya. I felt my heart quench, and my stomach churns with fear. I still hadn't left Izaya's apartment. He tried his hardest to make me feel better. But nothing worked. How could anything work?

I was going to get taken again. It was it. I knew it was. 

I had been so afraid. I didn't dare to look out of the window. Every time I closed my eyes, all I saw was him. The man who took away my feeling of safety. I didn't feel safe anywhere. Not with Shinra. Not with Celty. Not with Shizuo. Not with Izaya. 

Not with anyone.

I've been trying to write in a journal every day. It kept me busy. I wrote down the things I wanted to do. What I've been feeling. I don't know what'd I'd do if Izaya saw it. Or Mikado. Hell- he'd have a heart attack.

I sat at my bedroom desk, my fist pressed up against my cheek as my leg bounced anxiously. I scribbled in my journal, writing, and writing until my fingers hurt. I didn't know how much time I had left. Christ... I'm making it seem like I'm gonna die.

I wouldn't be surprised.

The Ophidians are known for kidnapping and murder. One of which has already happened to me. I just hope it will stay that way.

I scooted back in my chair, my hands covering my face as I threw down my pencil. I let out a dry sob, feeling myself become sick. I ran to the bathroom, kneeling in front of the toilet as I began coughing, trying to get myself to puke to get rid of this horrid feeling in my stomach.

My eyes widened. I heard the bell to the front door ring. It rang again. And again. Booming knocks eventually came after. More ringing. More pounding. It made my head spin. Who was there? What did they want? Were they here to take me? How did they find out where I was staying? Did they know Izaya was gone?

After what seemed like hours, the noises stopped. I stood up with shaky legs, using the counter and walls to support me as I cautiously walked to the front door. It was locked, just like every time Izaya left to do something. 

What was everyone doing? Did they find out I was here? My mind is racing over everything. Was this it? Was I going to die if I opened the door? I didn't know what was going to happen. I felt my heart beating in my ears and my head pounded.

I eventually made my way to the door, the apartment now eerily silent. I peeked through the door's peephole, seeing no one. My hands shook violently as they lifted to the doorknob. I carefully opened the door, taking a small peek outside into the hall. There was no one. I opened it a bit more, the silver security chain door lock stopping it from opening anymore. There was a slip of paper taped to the door. 

I tried reaching my arm through the small space, not wanting to unlock the door without Izaya here. I took a deep, shaky breath as I lowered my arm, closing the door as I carefully and silently unlocked the chain lock. I turned the doorknob, pulling the door open as a sickening feeling remained in my gut.

I saw the paper, quickly reaching my hand out to grab it, tearing it from the tape that stuck it to the door, and slammed the door shut again, replacing the lock. I pressed my back against the door, my chest heaving as I tried to calm down. 

I clenched my fists, feeling the paper crumble in my grip. I rose my hands, them shaking vigorously as I uncrumpled the note. 

'Time's up, Inra.'

🖤🖤🖤