TWENTY-EIGHT | RAINY CONVOS

chapter twenty-eight, rainy convos.

MAY LET HERSELF FALL AGAINST THE BED, BRAIN-SCRAMBLING

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

MAY LET HERSELF FALL AGAINST THE BED, BRAIN-SCRAMBLING. Olive was really trying to get her to concentrate on her schoolwork, but it was like May's mind could only focus on other things.

Everything else seemed so much more important than school.

Like trying to find out who her dad — Stefan — had in cages. How Stefan knew all that he did. What Derek, Peter, and Cora can tell her about her mother. While trying to juggle two friend groups, each that hate the other, and trying to solve the Tate case.

Getting good grades in preparation for college used to be the most important thing to her, and now, she hasn't thought about college since that conversation with Olive about cross country and colleges.

That feels like so long ago. Everything feels so far away.

Olive chucks a piece of popcorn at her forehead, "Pay attention. You're gonna fail this test and it's 90% of your grade. Come on, Maybug."

May frowns at the popcorn that hit her forehead, sitting up on her elbows. "Studying is so boring. We should watch a movie."

"You are so lucky you're good at sports 'cause with that mindset, you're never getting into a good college." She grabs May's hand, pulling her up as best as she can, "If you're so bored, then you can go get us snacks?"

May happily smiles, "I'd love to do anything other than this boring, boring studying."

"And that's why we work." Olive calls out as May exits the room, "Get chocolate, please!"

"You read my mind!"

Olive watches her exit, noticing that from downstairs, May can't see her. She can't see her either, which is what proves this point. If you can't see them, they can't see you.

An idea arises.

Hearing the chip bags crinkle as May digs through the snack drawer, Olive knows that whatever she does, May would be able to hear it. So it's either time to distract her or to come up with a really good excuse.

"Hey, May! Do you have those chips with the bubbles?"

May laughs, replying as Olive digs through her jeans to find the black pair from the other day. She knew May couldn't have thrown out the necklace.

"The chips with bubbles... I'll look."

Olive hears the sound of chip bags opening, knowing her plan was successful. She's still quiet on her feet though, grabbing the pair of jeans and hurrying towards the bed.

She mutters under her breath to herself, "This is gonna be good for you, May. For you."

Olive grasps the broken necklace, setting it down on the bed. She pulls the pendant off so it appears more broken to the normal eye, smiling slightly.