THIRTEEN | BAD TEACHER

chapter thirteen, bad teacher.

MY EYES WENT STRAIGHT TO THE FALLEN PIANO PLAYER AS MY MOUTH DROPPED OPEN IN SHOCK

MY EYES WENT STRAIGHT TO THE FALLEN PIANO PLAYER AS MY MOUTH DROPPED OPEN IN SHOCK. Someone had just died in front of my eyes, and I just knew it had everything to do with the sacrifices and the Druids.

It was like the piano cord breaking had broken us all from the trance, though it almost felt like I felt it two seconds earlier. I felt reality, then she died, and everyone else felt that reality too.

I didn't question it because I don't want to give myself that kind of credit. But there was a scream.

A girl's scream. It broke through my ears and sent a headache through me, but it wasn't what snapped anyone else out. It must've just been a coincidence.

I'm quick to the piano player's side, her name was Lauren. She was an alumni who just wanted to take part in something as beautiful as a memorial recital. I think she might even be a teacher now, not at this high school though.

I can't shut my mouth. It's hung open for eternity at the sight in front of me. No one even has to check for a pulse, we all know.

"Margaret Rose, get down here right now. We're going home." My dad hisses in front of me and I wordlessly nod, simply moving past the body and just jumping off the stage.

I'm happy for my sneakers.

He holds onto my shoulder tightly with his hand as he guides me through the screaming and crying crowd. "You saw nothing, okay? You did nothing, saw nothing — after your performance, you don't remember a thing. You hear me?"

"Okay," I simply respond in a daze.

It's like Lauren's face is flashing through my mind as I wonder where that scream could've come from. If that was what woke me, it had to have been from something supernatural, right?

But the question is: what can wake me from a trance like that? And why only me?

With the sacrificial chant, it's clear to me that Lauren was another sacrifice. The last philosopher that the Darach or Druid — whatever it is — needed. And considering we still don't know who or what this thing is, that doesn't sound very good to me. 

Who could be next?

My dad leads me out of the school quickly and I do my best to look up for Olive or Isaac — anyone familiar at all. But I just see passing, sorrowed faces that pay no mind to me.

Where could they have gone? The one time I actually yearn for some supernatural information, all my experts are gone.

The sound of my dads car unlocking catches my attention again and I perk up, happy to see the sleek Audi. As much as I'd like to help, I can't stop the feeling of wanting nothing but to be home right now.