SIXTEEN | EMPTY HOME

chapter sixteen, empty home.

"THAT SEEMS LIKE A BIT MUCH, STILES," I cringe as he slaps Derek in the face again, trying to wake him up from whatever unconscious state he's in

Stiles stops for a second to look at me, "Do you have a better idea?"

I shake my head and do my best to calm down, letting Stiles go back to punching and slapping Derek across the face. He continuously murmurs, "Come on, Derek. Wake up."

Right as he lifts his hand to really punch him, Derek's eyes shoot open and he grabs Stiles' arm, stopping him from doing anything further. His eyes are wide and he's breathing heavily, while I nearly fall backwards in relief.

"Oh, thank god." I slap my hand over my heart.

Derek looks around the elevator frantically, "Where is she?"

"Jennifer?" Stiles questions, "She's gone, along with Scott's mom."

"Plus Scott left with Deucalion and the police are on their way," I add, "so we need to get you and me the hell out of here."

Derek sits up with Stiles' help, "She took Scott's mom?"

"That is what we just said," I can't hold back the snarky reply as I stand up, "come on, we have to get out of here. Stiles is gonna stay and talk to the police, hold them off."

Derek glares at me, but doesn't say a word, just nodding as he takes it all in. Stiles looks between the two of us as we all stand in the open elevator, wondering why the hell we're not gone already.

"Well?" He questions, "Are you gonna go or what?"

I nod and move backwards out of the elevator, Derek following me with a determined look on his face. "Be careful, Stiles."

"Yeah, yeah." He waves me off and I turn around, walking quickly down the hall as Derek now leads us.

"I have a car outside. I can smell Isaac, we'll meet him and Cora and get the hell out of here. Cora is okay, right?"

Awe, he almost seems like he has an actual heart when he cares about his sister like this.

I nod as we walk out of the hospital, "Yeah, Peter and Isaac have her. She stopped breathing for a little bit, but—"

The second the words leave my mouth, I know they shouldn't have. Derek stops in his tracks, looking at me like I'm the reason for all this with a deathly look.