TWELVE | RECITAL

chapter twelve, recital.

"YOU'RE GONNA DO GREAT, MARGARET ROSE

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"YOU'RE GONNA DO GREAT, MARGARET ROSE." My father offers a vote of confidence as we walk into the school, him wearing the same suit he wore to work whereas I've changed into a nice dress.

"Thanks, dad." I fumbled with my fingers in the hallway, feeling a bit on edge from it all.

All the weight that was put on my shoulders and the nervousness I was having for this performance were not good to mix together.

I was performing in the actual main part of the recital that is more instrumental than anything else, but the new music teacher, Miss. Cobbs, was convinced that a pre-recital performance would be wonderful.

And it wasn't that bad of an idea. I don't mind it especially since she asked me to sing a song, any song of my choice as long as it was more slow of a beat.

Kenny and Alice both have their own respective performances and then I go last. Kenny's doing a slow country song to start off, I think, and Alice is performing a song from Twilight, if my memory serves me correctly.

Honestly, I didn't want my dad to see me perform. He tends to critique me on things he knows nothing about, like singing.

And I didn't want the chance of him running into anyone I know. Supernatural friends or not — I did not want my dad meeting them.

Can you blame me?

"I have to get behind the stage. Are you okay finding a seat by yourself?" I question as we stop in front of the doors leading the auditorium.

I really hope he just sits down and stays quiet.

"I'm a grown man, I'll be fine." He curtly nods a goodbye and disappears into the auditorium, leaving me alone in the hallway.

I don't move for a moment, watching him find his seat and just praying that no one will talk to him or mention my name. We have different last names — and he always introduces himself with his first and last — so hopefully no one will notice.

After seeing him seated with Kenny's performance coming to an end, I do my best to move quickly to the side hallway that'll take me right behind the stage.

My palms are sweaty and shake just slightly, showcasing my uneasiness that seems to come so easy to me. Honestly, you'd think I would be—

"Flower!" A voice stops me in my tracks and I turn around, scrunching my nose in confusion.

The nickname made me think it was Stiles, but the voice is obviously Olive's and when I turn around, I really know it's her. The sight of her calms me and a breath of relief leaves my lips.

"Olive." My voice is surprised as she wraps me in a bear hug, "I thought you were sick? You haven't been at school in days."

"Well, I was. But you know Scott McCall and Isaac Lahey?" Olive didn't let me say yes or no, "Isaac visited me and was all like 'Scott can help you!' so I was like yeah of course he can, since you know his mom is a nurse. And then Scott held my hand and I was better! Just like that!"