FOUR | CROSS COUNTRY MEETS

chapter four, cross country meets.

OLIVE THREW HER ARM AROUND MAY'S SHOULDERS, LOOKING DISTASTEFULLY DOWN AT HER OUTFIT

OLIVE THREW HER ARM AROUND MAY'S SHOULDERS, LOOKING DISTASTEFULLY DOWN AT HER OUTFIT. The cross country uniform was stuffed into her bag so May just adorned a big t-shirt that read 'MILF: Man I Love Fishing' with a pair of black fabric shorts.

Olive did not find the shirt that May spent about five minutes laughing at when she had found it at the store funny in any manner.

"Seeing you in this makes me happy I'm not coming with you to the meet."

"That's rude," May frowned as Olive walked her all the way to the closed bus, looking down at her t-shirt. She thought it would make people laugh. 

When they approached the bus, Coach was insisting on making everyone wait outside so he could do a headcount, even though deep down he knew not everyone would show up. It just made it easier for him to see with lacrosse players wouldn't be eligible to play next season. May was just surprised that Olive drove her there, considering she would be skipping.  

Then again, now that Olive learned you had to actually be good at the sport for it to really do anything that colleges liked, she would probably just quit before the next meet.

"Olive!" Coach called out as the two stopped in front of him, "Are you actually gonna be joining us today?"

"Nope." She answered without hesitance, "I've got bigger plans."

"Why do you even show up to practice?" Coach rolled his eyes before staring down at May, narrowing his eyes at her shirt. "Is that supposed to be funny?"

"I thought it was," May shrugged.

"Alright whatever, both of you get out of my face." Coach shook his head and waved them off.

Neither needed to be told twice and both walked a little off to the side, Olive enveloping May in a short, unnecessary hug. She wished her luck and told her that they'd be thinking of her while they were out shopping.

Then, May simply stood there a bit awkwardly.

Normally she'd talk to Olive or Aiden at practice, but Olive wasn't here and she got Aiden suspended. So she blew pointless air out of her mouth, toying with the small pendant around her neck. She was planning to just stand there and wait for the bus to open, just so she could sit there for a few hours more. Alone and bored.

But, Stiles had other plans, trying to call out to her without getting Coach's attention.

"Psst! May! Psst!"

May only took a moment to hear him, looking at where he stood with Scott, Isaac, and another guy she didn't know. Her nose scrunched in confusion, cocking her head to the side at why he would be calling her name. But, she didn't say a word, not wanting to catch Coach's attention.