FIVE | MOTEL CALIFORNIA

chapter five, motel california.

WHEN THE BUS ROLLED UP TO A MOTEL, MAY'S HEART SANK

WHEN THE BUS ROLLED UP TO A MOTEL, MAY'S HEART SANK. She didn't have any good memories of motels, and for some odd reason, she had a feeling she wouldn't have any good ones now or in the future.

After the whole bathroom ordeal, May sat in the front of the bus. She felt bad infiltrating on the friendship the boys had with Lydia and Allison, so she stayed away from it. She didn't want to annoy anyone.

It was a stupid insecurity, but May had a whole list of them to deal with.

"Everyone pair up!" Coach's eyes fell on May who stood separated from everyone and he threw her a pair of keys, "You're the new girl. You can have your own, only since there's extra."

Why is he so nice to me? May wondered, but then again she's only really seen him be mean to Stiles and being mean to Stiles was something entirely different.

"Thank you." She sing-songed and walked away, humming as she looked for the correct room number attached to her key.

Just as she was about to scale the staircase, someone called out for her. May almost didn't turn around because it didn't even register, but when she did her face was written in awkwardness.

Why was someone calling her name? And her full name, too. That means it can't be a friend. But, then again, that could've been assumed since she doesn't have any friends on this trip anyways.

"Margaret!"

"Call me May," she replied immediately to the orange-haired girl making her way towards her, another at her side with puffy brown hair.

May couldn't place them, besides for a couple times of passing inside school. She thought they were Scott and Stiles' friends, but she wasn't too sure.

"Okay, May." The orange-haired girl stuck her hand out, "I'm Lydia Martin. This is Allison Argent."

May offered a tight-lipped and shook both of their hands, "Nice to meet you."

"It is, isn't it?" Lydia looked behind her shoulder at the four boys they all knew who were being handed their keys, "So, you're friends with them?"

"No." May felt the need to reply that because she didn't want these two girls to become jealous.

Allison furrowed her eyebrows, "They said you were friends."

May changed her answer. "Sure. Something like that."

May felt particularly awkward because she never was one for new people. And the way these girls were staring her down like she was a puzzle to be solved and left didn't make her feel very good.

She hasn't gotten used to Beacon Hills yet. May hasn't realized that nothing in Beacon Hills goes at a slow pace.

Lydia and Allison were incredibly nice, but on the outside, they were intimidating. Especially when May had the constant worry that they thought she was taking their friends from them.