TWO | AN ACCIDENT

chapter two, an accident.

MAY CLOSED HER LOCKER WITH A SMALL WHISTLE

MAY CLOSED HER LOCKER WITH A SMALL WHISTLE. Today was a much better day than the one before even though her mind couldn't stop trailing back to that dead man she'd found.

She tried not to think about it, but it was like each time she turned a corner, she could see him. His face was drilled in her memory and having to pass his locker made it even worse.

But, May didn't let that memory reflect poorly on her mood. She'd talked to a lot more people today compared to yesterday, mostly due to Olive's help.

Olive kept her circle small, she just enjoyed knowing people not actually talking to them. It was mostly during classes that May met a lot of people in the school because Olive would make small talk with them.

At lunch, May sat with Olive and her two friends, Gracie and Quinn. They were both incredibly nice and made her easily forget about everything for a split second.

They'd already made plans to go out shopping this weekend, something May found herself looking forward to immensely. If it wasn't for her cross country meet.

Olive made herself noticed by knocking her shoulder into the locker next to May's as she leaned on it. "Hello there, M&M."

The nickname that was first just 'Harley' had now transformed into 'M&M' and was even once 'Maybug' but she didn't think that one would stick. May told Olive she didn't need to find a nickname for her, that May technically already was one, but Olive insisted that she just needed to find the right one.

"Hi."

"So are you sure you can't cancel your meet this weekend?" Olive pleaded with puppy dog eyes.

May glared slightly at her considering they'd already talked about this and May expressed how important her first cross country meet would be for her. She didn't want to get on Coach's bad side or somehow disappoint the team.

Plus she was excited for the meet. It was her first one with a new team.

"You're supposed to be there too, ya know."

Olive shrugged, moving off the locker as May appeared ready to walk to class. "I know. But it's much more fun not to be. I like to see Coach all riled up, gives me a good laugh."

"Why are you even on the team?" May chuckled softly.

She shrugged in response, again. "Gives me college credits, I think? Or colleges like it, something like that. My mom told me about it."

"You can get a scholarship off of it?" May guessed to which Olive nodded, "But you have to actually participate and be seen as good."

Olive slumped her shoulders, "Then why the hell am I doing it?"