Chapter XXII: One-Sided Feud and Truth Uncovered

He knew it would happen. He wasn't delusional, that man is too clever for his own good. He already settles all his affairs. He's scared, but he knows he won't be able to avoid this confrontation. One mistake that led to another. But this mistake was too horrible to ever pay his debt. He believes deeply that his methods weren't the best, but it was for an honorable cause. He turns on the light in his living room while saying resigned. "Peter."

Peter smiles. "Alan, how are you?"

Alan sighs. "What do you want?"

A snort is heard. "Playing dumb has never worked with me."

Alan sits on his couch. "I heard you succeeded in killing Barrow."

Peter sits in front of him, while humming. "Would have been faster if you had told us his name, instead of spying on us through a spell placed on Argent."

"You don't trust me. I didn't have a lot of things I could have done."

Peter snorts. "I always knew there were something not clear about you. Now, I know. You were a member of the dread." Alan swallows, his heartbeat accelerates. "I already had my suspicion, because Corinne Kojot was murdered but not Malia, and the spell to free the nogitsune wasn't made until the Darach came back into Beacon hills, so the only logical explanation was that Barrow had an accomplice... but then my suspicion was confirmed when I remembered the name of the boss: Valack. He was your mentor, I remembered you telling us that when we chose you after your father died. So, what happened? What made you change your mind?"

Alan is trembling, he feels like prey. Peter is smiling, but Alan knows it's not a good thing. "I was young, I believed in their ideology about wanting a better environment for the supernatural creature. But they had no qualms into destroying the balance and sacrificing a mother..."

"So, you decided to give Malia to the Tate instead of giving her back to us."

Alan glares. "You didn't remember her. And you are the Left-Hand you had nothing to bring to a baby but violence. Plus, she was a Coyote she had nothing to do in the Hale pack."

Peter's smile becomes colder. "And who are you to make the decision for us."

Alan states proudly. "An emissary."

Peter scoffs. "An emissary. Of course. What kind of emissary are you to poison a 14-year-old girl, for her to reject the bite in order to force her into accepting being possessed?"

Alan eyes bulged out of their socket. "How?"

Peter hums. "How did I find out? The Nogitsune said something fascinating. That there was a plan for Stiles to be possessed by it, and that after the last one." He pauses. "He didn't place a lot of hope into it..."

Alan swallows. "She wasn't supposed to die... He needed to possess her to go out of the Nemeton. But he didn't do it..."

Peter prowls menacingly towards Alan. "Funny thing. Nogitsune can't possess people that are transforming. She got the bite, so she wasn't a suitable candidate. You poisoned her and got her killed and for what? Because you still had the ambition to bring a dark kitsune into the world?"

Alan shakes his head. "No, I wanted to bring back the balance. The Nemeton needs to be reactivated again, without being tainted by that dark force."

Peter snorts. "What makes you think that the Nemeton isn't active, again?"

Alan frowns. "He was chopped down. What my father did was an abomination, Nemeton are sacred..."

Peter realizes what's going on. "So, you were going to sacrifice Stiles to be possessed by the Nogitsune. Why?"