Chapter III: The Left-Hand Oath and Duties of an Alpha

Peter says with glee. "Wonderful, I suppose it's my turn?" The older man looks at his nephew and then says, "But first I need information. Would you do me the honor of answering some questions, Nephew mine?" Derek raises an eyebrow before nodding. "This is all the members of your pack? There is no one else?" Derek nods, Peter then smiles bitterly "In the six years of being an Alpha, did Laura bite anyone?"

Derek's expression becomes cold. "Why do you need to know?"

"Humor me, Nephew, will you? I need to understand something"

Derek glares before saying, "No".

Peter hums. "Did she have any progeny at all?" His nephew glares harder "No."

"That's what I thought, Lydia, dear, did you know what you were doing yesterday?" Lydia reading the tension answers before swallowing "No, not at all".

Derek interjects "What are you searching for, exactly?"

Peter cocks his head and says "I can't tell you yet. Last question" He flashes his eyes and asks, "Do you plan to abandon this territory yet again?"

Derek looks like he received a punch in the gut. He responds with solemnity "No, not anymore."

Peter looks at his nephew's face, nods then with a 1000-watt smile looks at the pack "Very well, Miss martin, pups, and Co. I suggest you stay sitting during this part. If one of you stands it will be seen as a challenge. I wouldn't want to kill any of you today because you didn't know the protocol." The pups have eyes like saucers and the smell of anxiety is beginning to fill the room.

Peter turns his back on the pack, goes on one knee in front of Derek, presents his Left-hand to the Alpha, and says solemnly. "I, Peter Ian Hale, Left-hand of Alpha Talia Cordelia Hale and servant of the Hale spark for 23 years, offer my service as Left-hand to Alpha Derek Sebastian Hale, second child of Alpha Talia Cordelia Hale and actual holder of the Hale spark. I pledge, for a second time, my loyalty to the Hale territory and the Hale spark. I pledge my loyalty to the new Hale Alpha."

"I, Peter Ian Hale, swear to defend this pack, swear to become this pack swords and tool. I shall exterminate any threat to the pack. I shall represent and carry the burdens of my alpha. I shall be the one to discipline pack members and exterminate rebellion. I shall protect my alpha from spilling any blood, by spilling it in his stead. I shall survive any tragedies and injuries and retrieve justice if my pack shall fall. I shall protect the Hale spark and kill any impostors to the Alpha position. I shall make sure that the Hale spark is given to a Hale heir. I shall not have any ambition contrary to the safekeeping of the Hale spark. I shall serve even in death my Alpha and the Hale spark and shall gladly abandon my reputation, my sanity, and my life to protect the territory, the spark, and the pack. I shall protect the Hale spark, the territory, the pack, and the Alpha in this order with ferocity and determination. I shall not accept another Alpha before accomplishing my duties to the one I pledge to. I shall never lie or conceal anything to my Alpha unless he falls short of his duties. I shall not serve anyone or anything else than the Hale spark. I shall balance the Right-hand. I shall become the Left-hand. As Left-hand I live and as Left hand, I'll die."

Peter's eyes are blue neon while Derek's ones are crimson red. The tension is palpable, and time seems to have stopped. The pack is transfixed by the scene, and no one dares move a muscle.

Derek's hands are trembling, his claws are out, and the red in his eyes becomes more profound as he takes a step toward Peter, takes the hand in front of him into his own, then with a voice more animal than men, says: "I, Alpha Derek Sebastian Hale, accept Left-Hand Peter Ian Hale as servant to the Hale Spark, and as my Left-hand." He then brings the hand of his uncle to his mouth before biting his left wrist. The bond settles and every young pack member gasp at the new feeling of a strong bond settling in.