Chapter 33 - Heroic Daring

—Location: HPSC Headquarters—

"Fine."

The man clenches his fingers into fists, eyebrows furrowed with determination as he straightens his back and raises his head.

"I will force Tsukauchi's team to give up on this investigation. I devote my heart and life to the Hero Commission. I will follow every order entrusted to me even if it goes against the moral code without failure... To bring peace at everyone's mind." His slams a hand over his heart and finishes the pledge with a respectful bow and final say. "I, Hawks! Swear loyalty to you, ma'm!"

Her smile only widens by her success, which went unnoticed. "That's the spirit, Hawks. That's why I like you. You're dismissed."

"Yes, ma'm..." And with that the winged hero excuses himself, bowing once more before exiting her office with a spark in his eyes.

"Why use such methods?" The right-hand spoke as soon as the doors closed. "Time could have been saved if you would have used your words. There's no need to bring Hawks into this." He brought up, wondering why the President took the long path.

"You've seen it haven't you, Yokumiru Mera?" She used his full name and eyes the right-hand man who gave a puzzled look. "The way Hawks forged a strong bond with the youngest son of Endeavor's after Dabi was taken down."

It sparked a memory in the man, "I see. Ever since then, Hawks has been open-minded, lacking in his duties, and... has sure gotten soft." Mera came to realize, hovering a hand over his mouth as a yawn escapes his lips.

"Precisely. Our No.1 hero has been too focused on him... We need Todoroki Shoto out of the picture for good." She reveals, wanting their number one hero to sever ties with the U.A student—And the only way for that to happen would be to pit 'em against each other, make them hate one another.

As another added bonus: Since the word would be coming directly from Hawks, the young man and those other detectives won't ever be suspicious of them. It's a win-win for the Hero Commission.

"That's cruel of you, Miss." The assistant giggled at that, overall agreeing and understanding her plan.

Behind the closed doors of the chairman's office stood Hawks leaning against them. He listened in on the Prez's conversation with the aid of his red feathers planted secretly below her desk.

"Not at all. Todoroki Shoto shares blood with a rotten criminal, so who knows when he'll turn against us. The same applies for Hawks."

Only one word could describe what he felt in that very moment. Disgust. Both in the President and himself. They dirtied their own hands, drenched them with blood. Whether it would be to infiltrate the enemy's den and look past casualties caused by them to not raise suspicion, or even eliminate any being under suspicion of going against the Hero Commission without even checking the facts just to be safe.

Both were willing to go through lengths unheard of before. All for the sake of society's wellbeing. It didn't matter how morally dubious it was to make such decisions. It never occurred to them since it was all for the sake of Japan's citizens. All for the sake of them and them only.

"Now, let's find out. Is Dabi's friend... our friend?"

The man gritted his teeth and began racing for the exit with a sharp glare, knowing well what was to be expected of him.

He's done it many times before meaning he could do it again. His superiors orders are absolute and expected to be followed with no setbacks. He had no say on the matter. He had no other choice but to obey like some puppet. Right?