Chapter 31 - Partner's in Crime

—Location: Bus Heading to Detective Agency—

The red and white-haired teenager rested his head against the glass, being seated at the far end of the bus and feeling a tad bit uncomfortable wearing a cap and sunglasses—Though his temporary disguise was necessary if he didn't want to draw unwanted attention to himself.

He closed his eyes and crossed his arms, pondering deeply about his earlier conversation with the pro hero. Shoto wondered if he had revealed too much back there. He also couldn't shake off his pent-up guilt for leaving his classmates worried sick either. His friends approached him in a caring manor, yet he practically gave them the cold shoulder despite their concerns... and to make matters worse, the boy left his mother all alone in that room.

Would they think lowly of him? Scratch that, what's the situation with Hawks? I shouldn't have said all that. The boy realizes, wishing he could turn back time to take back every word. He was ashamed for not being able to keep to himself, but at the same time, was glad someone was there to listen. What they say turned out to be true, venting really does feel like a heavy weight being lifted off his chest.

What's done is done, so I guess it doesn't matter now.

"Next stop: ~~~~~~~"

The teen's head raised upon hearing the driver's announcement, and he gathered his things to hop off the next station. That's right. I don't have the time to worry about futile things... Stay in the game, me.

.
.
.

—Location: Outskirts of Musutafu—

"I'm home..." Hawks mutters, removing his boots as he tosses his jacket to the nearest leveled surface. The pro hero stared long and hard at the small yet spacious apartment, glancing here and there until his eyes rested on a broom and dustpan. It's quite dirty... he thought before rummaging through the closet in search for more cleaning supplies.

It's been weeks. Due to the great amount of cases piling over him, the elder was rarely home. Being the number one hero isn't an easy task, not during times of crisis after crisis. Once upon a time, the unmatched All Might demonstrated how to be a hero. He was a man everyone looked up to, and they all cheered him on... But, along the way... There were many who forgot about the heart and soul that made the man. And the same could be said about all those sacrificing themselves for a better and safer world. That includes those who chose the easy way out and ran away from their duties as a civil servant.

There were plenty of time Hawks found himself wanting to throw in the towel, to follow in the steps of his collages he's worked with long ago. However, quitting would be choosing death, so enduring was all he could do to keep the hope everyone relied on.

Today would be the only day he would ever get two hours off his schedule, yet the elder decides to tidy up the place rather than get much needed rest.

"I haven't been able to visit much... sorry about that." He mutters, frowning deeply. His hands stopped dusting the old and torn couch when he found himself turning behind him, eyes lingering on a mounted shelf carrying vivid photographs of a troublesome duo enjoying their youth. A specific frame caught his golden-brown eyes, making him approach the shelf for a clearer view.

It was a picture of himself trying to cook breakfast for the day, but ended up with 'crispy' pancakes and scrambled eggs. The photographs after that were Touya's disappointed reactions, and his own heartbroken face when realizing he had failed to cook a decent meal. It still looks edible to me... Gordon Ramsay would 100% approve. The winged hero tried to convince himself even after all these years.