Chapter 23 - Connecting The Pieces

—A Few Minutes Earlier
Location: Unknown Alleyway—

A puddle of crimson red was splattered across the pavement, spreading quickly as the man made an effort to crawl his way to safety.

"Damnit..." A layer of cold sweat covered the back of his nape as he dragged himself across the filthy floors. "Fuck... Someone... Is there anyone?!" The injured man choked out, scanning everywhere for any signs of help. Ow... It hurts so much... He let out a sob, muffling his cries with a bloody hand. I can't anymore, the bleeding won't stop! The pain around his abdomen became too much, making it nearly impossible to continue on.

Damnit...

He knew. No matter how loud he shouts, how much he struggles to flee. No hero or civilian will answer his prayers. No one will come to his rescue.

The man let out a sharp gasp when heavy footsteps approached from behind. His heart began racing as adrenaline coursed through his veins.

Applying all of his remaining strength, the young adult forced himself to move. Knowing very well that if he stops here, so would his own life. Shit, shit, shit, shit! "Please help me...Someone!" His desperate cries became weaker and quiet as his consciousness fades away.

Having lost more than two liters of blood, he was beyond anyones saving. "Someone. Please help... I... don't wanna die..." Even so, he still fought to keep his eyes open and mind focused, away from the very thought of death.

Like any human trying to make ends meet, the man rose early, ate a nice breakfast with his family, and hurried to his workplace. Believing he would return home to his loved ones like any other day, the poor man went about his life without an ounce of worry. He knew very little that tonight would be the night he breathe his final sigh.

"I'm so sorry." Tears streamed down the culprit's face as he muttered serval apologies. "I'm sorry, man... There's nothing I can do to help." Gently removing the blade from the corpse's abdomen, they took several steps back, gripping the knife tightly around their fingers.

"We are just following orders... Sorry..." Staring at the lifeless corpse once more, the culprit hunched his own body forwards into a slight bow.

"I'm sorry." Although tears were clearly falling, the man's tone was calm and composed, the complete opposite of what his expression presented.

—Present Time
U.A Entrance—

"The number you are trying to reach is currently unavailable, or is out of service. Please leave a message af—" Fuyumi sighed, removing the device away from her ear as she hung up.

That's strange... She thought, glancing across the U.A safety gates. Shoto wasn't the type to ignore, miss, or turn down calls, especially when it came to his family. Fuyumi felt unease engulf her mind, pondering deeply about the boy's unusual actions when stepping outside her vehicle.

"Good to see you, Todoroki-San. Have you been well?" A familiar voice made themselves known, catching the young woman by surprise. Fuyumi didn't expect anyone to be roaming around the school building, especially during freezing cold weather conditions such as today.

"Here to pick up Shoto, I assume? You don't have to wait out in the cold." The pro hero shivered as the frigid gusts of wind blew past them. Aizawa highly advised she take shelter in her warmed-up vehicle rather than loiter outdoors, but the young woman shook her head slightly, "I prefer winter over heat."