Wish That Were Me [One]

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry, I know you were excited." Spencer said, stepping back from her.

Y/N waved him off, "It doesn't matter anyways, a week was enough. And besides I missed everyone," Y/N reached up and messed up Spencer's hair, "Speaking of which, where is everyone?"

"Not here yet, I came in early." Spencer answered.

"Huh, that explains it," Y/N said, "Now come and tell me how you survived without me for a week."

Y/N grabbed onto Spencer's hand and dragged him back to his desk. He watched as she did this with loving eyes. He had known her for seven years and in all that time, he had never stopped loving her, even if he knew that she didn't love him in the same way.

Seven Years Ago (April 2010)

The team were on a case and it happened to be Y/N's first one. Her and Spencer had been tasked with doing the geographical profile and they had found out quickly that they worked well together. Spencer, however, was finding it difficult to take his eyes away from Y/N. Of course he still did the work that needed to be done but every so often he would find his gaze drifting towards her.

Spencer knew that he needed to stop. The two of them worked together and he couldn't jeopardize his job over something as little as a silly crush. He didn't even think he could call it a silly crush, he just found Y/N attractive. And calling it a crush when he was thirty was silly in his eyes.

Both of their attention was diverted to Y/N's phone that rang for the third time in the past five minutes. Letting out a huff, Y/N picked it up and went to hang up.

"Take it." Spencer said.

"What?" Y/N questioned.

"Take the call," Spencer stated, "I'm fine with doing this myself for a few minutes."

Y/N gave him a smile before answering and stepping out of the room for a little more privacy. Spencer, as much as he tried to stop himself, drifted his gaze to where Y/N was standing outside the room. A wide smile was present on her face as she talked with whoever it was on the phone. Spencer hadn't noticed who the caller ID was, it could have been a parent, sibling, friend. Spencer wasn't normally the curious type but when it came to Y/N, he was.

A few minutes passed and Y/N hung up the phone and stepped back into the room. Throwing her phone back down onto the table. There was a smile on her face that clearly wasn't there before.

"Who was that?" The question came tumbling out of Spencer's mouth before he could stop himself.

"Oh it was just James, my husband." Y/N answered.

Spencer felt his heart break. He had no idea she was married. She didn't wear a wedding ring and she hadn't said anything that had even indicated that she was married. Even though he had just met her, Spencer felt this pull towards her and hearing that she was married broke that pull ever so slightly.

"I didn't know you were married?" Spencer said, suddenly avoiding eye contact.

"Yep," Y/N answered, not noticing the shift in Spencer's behaviour, "Coming up a year now. I don't wear my wedding ring at work because I'm afraid I'll lose it."

"Well congratulations." Spencer said, giving her a tight lipped smile.

"Thanks Spence." Y/N smiled, the same smile that had caused his knees to go weak before.

Spencer gave her a small nod in acknowledgment before turning back to the map he was studying.

Present day (January 2018)