Family Part 2 - Edited

Recap:

Rachel's POV

“That’s what you taught yourself.  That’s what you have done in the past but it’s alright now.  I won’t tell anyone if you cry right now.  You need to let it all out, I am here for you.”

I stared at him, my eyes watering.  I laid my head on his shoulder.  I felt tears running down my cheeks.  Silent tears left me.  Derek tightened his hold on me and rocked me like a mother did a small child after a nightmare.  I cried into him.  Trusting him.  Letting someone finally take care of me for a few moments.  I didn’t notice we moved until I was laying down under the covers with my head on Derek’s chest.  When did he move us? I didn’t care I was comfortable and I was too tired to think about it.  I stopped crying after about an hour.  Derek was humming something but I did not know what it was, but I liked it. 

“What is that?”

“Hmm, oh just a song that I learned a while back.”

“It beautiful.” I lifted my head so that I was looking in his eyes.  He wiped my left over tears.  “Go to sleep now Rachel.”

“Okay.” I laid my head back down “Derek”

“Yes.”

“Could you. Could you hum again please?”

He started to hum whatever it was he had learned, for me.  I didn’t know why, but I didn’t care at the moment.  I drifted off to sleep.  In Derek’s arms.  How I would love to stay like this forever.  Soon darkness took me, and I was asleep, feeling safe in this house, for once in my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rachel’s POV

I woke up with the sun in my eyes.  I rolled over to see that the bed was empty.  Derek wasn’t next to me anymore.  Where did he go?  I looked over at my clock on the night stand next to my bed, it read 10:30 a.m.  I slept in.  I never get to sleep in.  Oh well maybe Derek was trying to be nice.  But why is he being nice. 

I was taken out of my thoughts when I heard a cry.  Jake.  I jumped out of bed so fast and walked to his room.  Once I got there he was already quiet.  He was smiling at me, from over Derek’s shoulder.  Derek turned to face me.  “Oh I am sorry did he wake you.  I tried to let you sleep in so that you could get some rest.”

“No he didn’t wake me, but thank you.”  Jake smiled up at Derek, who smiled back at him.  I walked to Derek and Jake reached his arms out for me.  “Ray.”

Derek handed Jake to me and walked towards the door.  “I am making breakfast, it should be ready soon.”

He made breakfast, okay something serious is going on.  I am going to have to go through all of my books to see if vampires could get sick, but I highly doubt it.

I followed Derek downstairs with Jake in my arms.  We reached the kitchen and Derek went to the stove to check the food he had left, on low.  I sat Jake in his highchair at the kitchen table.  I walked to the fridge and grabbed the apple juice.  I grabbed a cub for Jake and poured the apple juice in it.  I sat the apple juice in front of him and he smiled and grabbed it.  I smiled back at him and kissed his forehead.  My baby brother, he had gotten so skinny.  Mom probably wasn’t feeding him, that or he wouldn’t take anything from her, or anyone else, but me.  He didn’t like too many people.