Chapter 14

꧁꧂

My eyes fight to stay open as I desperately look to see who's been shot. Kaiser is rolling on the floor, groaning as Dex shoots and fights off three guys. Fucking hell, that man could be a MMA fighter. I kick and hit the guy on top of me. His hands slack a little on my throat but it still hurts. I feel myself struggling and panting.

"Dex!" Kaiser shouts, pointing at me.

Dex glances and kicks Kaiser's gun that fell from his hand over to him. Kaiser grabs it and holds up in my direction.

I look up at the guy to see if he'd noticed. He didn't. He just stares into my eyes with a evil smirk. His eyes slam shut and he jerks his head to the left. His blood pours out all over me as well as bits of flesh and a good chunk of hair.

I scream whilst sitting up, rubbing the blood off my face. It's his fucking scalp that just landed on me. Kaiser shot him in the head! I move back in some sort of crab position. I push myself into the corner below a booth and bring my knees to my chest and hold my head down low. I place my hands on the back of my neck and breathe slowly. The air feels thick and it's hard to inhale. I feel like I'm trying to breathe through a thick pillow. Gunshots and shouting continue as I stay hidden. I clamp my hands over my ears but it's no good.

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" I hear Dex shout. His voice hits a new tone I haven't ever heard before. He sounds terrifying. My chest tightens further.

"You tell Javier to leave her alone! She's with me now, she's with my family." Kaiser shouts.

I push my hands into my ears again but due to the shakiness, it's useless. Through my hands I can still hear shouting and gunshots. Finally, they come to a stop. My breath hitches as I wait for a voice.

"April?" I hear Kaiser's voice and I lower my hands from my ears. "Where is she?" I hear shuffling around. "Where the fuck is she Dex?!" He shouts.

I open my mouth to speak but a cry comes out. I hear one the of the boys shush the other and see two pairs of legs near the table. I hold my breath and begin to feel my heart race lighten down.

Dex gets on his hands and knees. He looks at me with sympathy. "Oh, April." He says. "It's okay now. Come out."

I nod weakly and crawl out from below the brown table. The air is easier to breathe and I already can feel myself calming down.

Kaiser squats down onto his knees, he groans as he meets the ground softly. "You're bleeding." Is all he says, his eyes full of concern and worry. He places a hand on my face and strokes his thumb across my cheeks, wiping up a tear.

"It's just my wrist. Most of the blood came from that guys," I almost feel sick saying it, "head." I say slowly, taking a while to get my words out between breaths.

"April, I'm so sorry." He hugs me, tightly, squirming a little.

"Where did you get hit?" I ask, pulling back.

"My hip." He lifts his shirt, flashing his toned abs a little. "Come on Dex, let's get to yours." He hisses, getting up off the floor.

"Careful." I say, placing my hands on his elbows and jumping up to help.

He smiles at me appreciatively.

When we arrive at Dex's, his house wasn't anything I thought it would be. He lives in a modern Spanish villa with a pool and outdoor kitchen. I could easily stay here for good. It looks like my dream house. Dex pulls a seat out in the kitchen at the dining table and Kaiser collapses on to it with a groan.

"Dex, this place needs surveillance and protection for the next few hours that we are here." Kaiser tells him as I head to the sink and wash my face with warm water and a cloth.