63. our dream

Jae's pov

I rush back to the car, not daring to look back for fear of being persuaded to jump on the plane. The next time I meet Ellie, I would like to be alive.

I hurry into the SUV, meeting Emily as she shifts gears and drives forward. I take the chance of looking back, and to my luck, she is no longer visible.

My thoughts quickly wanders to Ellie and how her touch felt on my skin minutes ago as I grasp the jewelry box in my hand, feeling the smooth fabric. I hurriedly avert my gaze, not wanting to give my memories the gratification of seeing her leave, but I couldn't help myself. When Emily exits the airport, my focus is drawn to the plane, which continues to move further away into the distance. I take a deep breath and lay back in my seat, my heart still racing from my last moments with Ellie.

"You have my heart, Jae Foster"

With my eyes peered down at the package, a smile approaches my lips. I bite my lower lip when I realize she doesn't have her locket, but she does have my ring. A ring that will allow me be her husband one day.

"I love you"

My eyes wipe away the happy tears, as if it were terrible to see her go, yet I'm filled with so much excitement and love from her that I can't wait to see her again. I look up, my gaze locked with Emily in the rearview mirror, who laughs at me for appreciating only the box before returning her gaze to the road front of her.

I bite my cheek, attempting to keep from smiling any more because my cheeks are beginning to burn from my joy. As soon as I open the box, my body relaxes when my gaze settles on the letter 'E.' I carefully remove the necklace from the box, hoping to get a better look at the lovely chain she selected. My heart skips a beat as my stomach jolts as I just study the intricacies before unlocking the locket. As I read the tiny text on the charm, it makes me miss her even more.

You are my love<3
Ellie Mae

I grip the necklace even tighter to my heart, forcing me to gaze out the window in the hopes of seeing her, but all I see are the streets of Toronto. I appreciate the wording on the locket and run my eyes over the small details of the chain before putting it on and swearing never to take it off because it already makes me feel closer to her.

"Can we stop by the crafts store for a second, Emily?" I ask hesitantly, thinking it's already too much for her to drive me to the airport, but I'm impatient when my mind comes up with an idea.

Emily nods and turns away from where we're supposed to go. As I notice the different buildings and cars passing by the window, I relax into my seat and feel some stiffness in my shoulder. My eyes flutter shut for a second, recalling my love's brown eyes, before opening them again and realizing we're already in front of Michaels.

"Did you have a nice nap?" Emily raises an eyebrow, and I stretch my back, furrowing my brows, perplexed as to how I slept for 15 minutes when it felt like only a few seconds. Emily tries to disguise her smile before closing the privacy window, so I shake my head and glance around. As I exit the SUV and begin my journey to the store, I clear my throat and direct my attention to my necklace.

Warmth greets me, as does the sound of radio music playing in the background. I rub my arms for warmth as I browse the various rows of art supplies before heading to the centre of the store, where the notebooks and journals are located. My eyes scan each one, looking for something that piques my interest, until I come on a blue journal. I smile as I approach it, and images and memories of Ellie flood my thoughts, prompting me to grab it and head to check out.

~

The sound of the television and Sofie's ranting draw my attention as I enter the door to my apartment. As my eye rests on Sofie and Theo stretched across the Coach, I furrow my brows and shut the door behind me. Before approaching their voices, I set the journal on the counter. Slowly approaching them, my heart racing as I watch the news on the television.