13. I forgive you

Jae's pov

Well my progress took a turn...

Surprisingly, I don't feel as bad as I should, and that's just because I deserved the worst. To demonstrate how much I've changed, I'd like Ellie to see how committed I am to proving it to her.

It may have been stupid of me to ask for it, particularly when things between us were going well, but I don't feel any regret because I really deserve the suffering she endured.

If she's going to retaliate in the most brutal way imaginable, it'll motivate me to show her that I'm not going down without a fight.

Another mistake I made was finding the easy way out. When things didn't go my way, I'd take shortcuts or give up completely, but I want to show her how I changed my attitude. I want to assure her that I would not leave her this time, as I used to. I promised her that I'd do whatever it takes to get her back, even if it meant she's ignoring me. I promised her that I'd figure something out and not give up like I had before.

As I exit the elevator, my gaze is drawn to the president suite-style hallway that leads to a few residents farther down. I take a slow walk down the hall, admiring the dark tiles on the ceilings and walls before I reach the location I've been dreading.

My mouth suddenly becomes dry, my hands and legs begin to shake, and I stand frozen in my spot as my nerves attack my system. Before ringing the doorbell and waiting nervously for the person to open it, I take a deep breath.

Sofie quickly opens the door and leans against it, saying, "She's not here."

"I know," I say with a sheepish grin, sensing my nervousness in the way she furiously narrows her eyes.

"Then why are you here?" She crosses her arms.

I cast a glance behind me, unexpectedly concerned about the way my neck hairs stand up. "This is what I want to give you."

"Thanks, but not really," she says, looking down at the bag in my hand before closing the door in my face and causing a gust of wind to blow by.

I take a deep breath and ring the doorbell once more, determined not to let Sofie escape.

"What do you want Jae?" She opens the door, a furious look to her expression. "You do know that you have to work twice as hard now that I know."

"Ellie told you"

"Of course she did well..." she tilts her head. "I got it out of her besides the point...you can't just charm your way through presents and surprises."

"I know and that's why I'm here," I look down at the bag, playing with the strings of it.

"Look Jae I admire your dedication but you need to know that-" With a sad look on her face, she takes a deep breath. "You aren't the only one who has changed; Ellie has as well. She's not the same sweet, innocent girl she used to be; your mistakes have utterly damaged and corrupted her. That's why I'm telling you to up your game; we're dealing with a different Ellie."

When Sofie talks about Ellie, her face is full of doubt and concern, and it makes my breath catch in my throat. I furrow my brows, attempting to think and assess the situation, but all I can do is assume and guess, which I have no right to do.

"I came here to talk to you," I admit, looking up to her.

"You are here to do what?!" Her eyes widen, and she bites the insides of her cheeks to keep a smile from appearing. "I did not expect that."

"And I brought food," I smile, raising the bag in my hand.

"Hell yeah," she says as she pulls me into their penthouse, and my jaw drops at the sleek interior, dark and open layout.