23. next plan

Sofie says as she gathers her keys and jacket before heading out the door, "I'm going to pick up the pizza." Before I begin unpacking Malcom's boxes full of new Christmas decor, I watch her close it behind her. I roll my eyes because I know he wants a head start because December is just a week away, but I can't say no.

I put my album on shuffle and the first song, Ariana Grande's "Let Me Love You," blasts through the speakers. As I begin to unpack the wreaths and decorations, the doorbell rings, causing me to furrow my brows, as if I were expecting a guest.

I shrug my shoulders, expecting the visitor to leave the front door, but the doorbell rings again, causing me to groan and drag myself to it. When I open it, I'm greeted by Theo, who has a big grin on his face, Eric, who has a smug smile on his face because he knows I'm irritated and he's enjoying it, and, unexpectedly, Jae, who confidently looks at me with a smile.

"ELLIE," Theo encircles me in a close hug, preventing me to move my arms. Eric and Jae share guilty looks before staring at Theo and me, which I observe. As Theo gets himself off of me, I let out a sigh, feeling lightheaded from the soul-crushing embrace. I open the door wider to let them in, and Jae, as usual, takes a cautious step into my home, forcing me to open the door all the way. I shut the door and roll my eyes as soon as the three of them enter, knowing they're going to be a handful.

I cross my arms and return my gaze to them before I notice Theo's disappearing figure moving deeper into our place. I furrow my brows as I look at the two guys who stand awkwardly in the middle of our penthouse.

"Ellie," Eric says with a smile as he approaches me with open arms, but I stop him by putting out my hand. He then turns around and stands next to Jae, who seems completely befuddled.

"You're drunk," I claim, noting the strong odour of alcohol and the bright red flush on Jae's cheeks.

"No, we aren't," Jae says, as I raise my brow. "We are..." he says, looking to Eric for help, but Eric shrugs and walks to the kitchen.

"Drunk," I say for him as I watch him drag his feet to the kitchen and support him up as he falls off the counter before straightening himself up on the stool. I take three cups of water and fill them to the rim for them to drink. As I was about to find Theo, the doorbell rings again, and I push the full glasses towards them two.

I groan as I walk to the door and open it to see Sofie struggling to keep the pizza boxes in her hands. As we step further into the penthouse, I assist her by taking one of the boxes in my hands.

"What the fuck are you doing here?"  I almost laugh, but bite my lower lip and place the boxes on the counter instead. Before returning their attention to what they're doing, the boys snap their heads to an amused Sofie. Sofie gives me a puzzled look before turning to face Eric, who is gazing at our fridge with awe, as if it were art in a museum.

"Jae, will you buy me this fridge?" Eric inquires, raising an eyebrow at him, but Jae simply flips him off, causing me to suppress another laugh.

"Hell no," he retorts, leaving me and Sofie stunned at his shift in mood when he's drunk.

"That's not nice," Eric grumbles as he gently touches the screen pad of our refrigerator, causing him to flinch back. "He got into a fight with Cassidy again," Eric says loudly enough for everyone to hear, causing Jae to slap his arm and me to laugh out loud this time.

Sofie shoves one of the pizza boxes to the boys, who admire it and are able to devour it in a matter of seconds. That gave me an opportunity to look for Theo around the place. Many of the rooms in the house, including the closets, don't seem to fit Theo, but he's unpredictable. When I reach the end of the hallway, I notice one door that is slightly ajar, and I hear the familiar weeping sound. My eyes widen, and I come to a halt, moving back and forth on the balls of my feet, unsure what to do, particularly because Theo is crying.