3. I have to bribe you

~~~~

"Thanks," I say as Aaron opens the door for me to enter.

"Welcome!" He gestures to the modern, futuristic, new and improved layout of the athletic department. It's clear to me that a lot has changed since the last time I stepped foot inside, and I just really hope it stays as is.

Memories. Bad ones.

"Wow," I nod approvingly. "This is where all the school's money goes to huh?" I tease. The many fundraisers we've held throughout the year now making sense.

I take in the high ceilings, white walls, white tiles—basically white everything—that run the lengths of the building. A cool-looking spiral staircase spans up to several floors, glass railings surround the perimeter of them, and chandeliers dangle up above. A once run down and dingy building has evolved into luxury.

A desk in a random corner catches my eye, primarily due to the matching work uniforms the teachers and students are representing. I take interest on them, specifically the windbreakers and quater-zip sweaters. Obsessed.

"You should see the weight rooms." Aaron winks. Of course, the budget was probably spent on new equipment and resources.

Aaron leads me deeper into the facility and although so much looks different, the gut wrenching feeling still lingers and is slowly eating me up inside—

"Are you going to Coach Hale's office?" He asks.

"Yeah," I nod. "Thank you." Each step I take, the closer I get to hell which is all so familiar.

"No problem," he turns another corner. "Don't be nervous, Coach is a good guy."

"I know," my gaze wanders to a renewed swimming pool. I prevent my jaw from dropping because of how sleek and appealing it looks. They only replaced the tiles with a new design but still looks all brand new. Absolutely jealous. Why don't they put this much effort on the other departments?

I shift my attention away from the hypnotic water and on the conversation instead. "But not on the court."

"How do you know that?" He slows down in order to look at me with wide eyes. I blink and raise a brow at the awful, stupid question that he should already know the answer to. "Right, you interned in our...first year?"

"Yup," I keep my gaze ahead.

Obviously Aaron has already forgotten about my importance but it's not like it surprises me. I'm used to it at this point, considering over the years I've grown a disliking to him—Malcom too.

It's in a sense where he is not the same person.

I mean, I shouldn't judge a person because I myself have changed a lot, but sometimes I'm forced to participate in Malcom's conspiracies on Aaron and Sofie's relationship...yeah, take that as you will.

I'm overprotective with her, so is Malcom, and it has gotten to a point where we're genuinely worried. It is a sensitive and forbidden topic in our household so no one speaks of it. Honestly, I just try and forget Aaron even exists to not get myself worked up.

"It's good to have you back," Aaron stops at a door that's new to me. I can only assume that they transferred Coach's office into somewhere better. The name engraved on a plaque beside his office proves it since he did not have one long ago. "The boys miss you."

They probably know.

"Don't keep your hopes up," I roll my eyes. "I might work with the track team, you don't know."

"Yeah, yeah." He shakes his head. "I'll see you," an awkward side hug before he leaves.

As soon as I'm isolated, the door swings open before I can even knock on it. Coach Hale reveals himself with a bright smile.