64. blue journal

~one year later~

"Are you sure you got your eight hours of sleep?" As I struggle to open my door with my hands full of groceries, Malcom asks over the phone, and I furrow my brows, chuckling.

"Of course I did," I say as I close the door to my apartment and place the bags in the kitchen, the phone sitting between my ear and shoulder. My kitchen, oh how I adore it.

"Why wouldn't I?"  I cross my living room and open the doors to my balcony, allowing the fresh air to flow inside and giving me a better perspective of my everyday view of the Eiffel Tower.

"You're going to need a lot of energy tonight," I blink, giggling as I hear the tone of curiosity in his voice. I cast my gaze out into the distance, where you can begin to detect the tiny changes in the sky as the sun sets. "It's time to celebrate."

"I'd love to," I sigh as I return inside and take a seat near the counter. As my eyes wander over the room that I took my time decorating, I simply admire the silence and the faint sound of a car honking. My first personal home in Paris. What a dream. "However, it wouldn't be as fun."

"I told you to come to Toronto," Malcom practically bellows in my ear, raising my brows as I take my croissant from my bag, which I had saved earlier this afternoon.

"This is my day off," I say as I set my phone on the counter and put it on speaker so I can enjoy the soft, buttery croissant in peace.

"Lovely came back to Toronto"

"Did she go back to Elijah or you?" As he falls silent, I tilt my head, laughing, and I can hear actual crickets beyond the shrubs and plants I started growing.

"Why is it that everyone has to pick their significant other?" I furrow my brows as I hear Malcom longingly sigh, flinging something on the other end of the phone.

"You have Lucas," I say, widening my smile before gasping and bringing my phone closer to me as I recall something. "Didn't he tell you?"

"Goddess, I knew that boy was in love with me the day I saw him at that party many years ago," I giggle, nodding my head as I recollect the time I was drunk and introduced Malcom to the team in freshman year. I always cringe when I remember such instances, but I have now admired and laugh at how clumsy I was.

"Anyway," Malcom swiftly shifts the conversation's focus as I push another piece of croissant into my mouth and appreciate the flavor. "You should already come to Toronto; you seem really happy."

"Like any other day..." I furrow my brows, sensing that he's hiding something from the mischief in his voice. "I'll try to fit it into my schedule, but I guarantee I'll be there soon since I'm looking forward to seeing you all again."

"You mean excited to meet Jae," he says, biting my cheek as I try to disguise my grin. As the heat rises to my face, I place my cheek on the cold counter. My hand travels to the ring he gave me a year ago, revealing a cheeky grin on my face.

"Him and you guys," I say as Malcom groans and I presume he's moving around since I hear his dress shoes clicking on the hardwood flooring.

"Let's get down to the serious stuff," he clears his throat, hearing the intensity and eagerness in his voice. I can just see him scolding me for not partying with a hand on his hip and tapping his foot. "You're not going to throw a party."

"I would, if I wasn't alone," I stand up as the doorbell catches my attention.

"You don't have to be alone"

"That doesn't mean I won't celebrate it on my own," I reply through the speaker before I race to the door. I open it and greet the postman, who offers me a parcel that causes me to tilt my head in confusion. My brows furrow as I battle to keep the box steady in my hands due to its weight.