12. damaged

"HIGHER KNEES"

"Sheesh," Ashley flinches beside me from Coach Hale's blaring whistle.

I was convinced that Cassidy will be the second intern because of all the rumours and speculation. Working on the same team as her would be disastrous, not because of Jae, but because I would have kicked the crap out of her at first glance or at anytime to be honest. At the party, seeing her point an accusing finger at me almost made me break it in half, but I didn't want to show them what I was capable of. Instead, I'm grateful to have Ashley as my year-long partner.

I observe the team as they travel from one end of the gym to the other, sweating and panting heavily from their latest 30-minute workout. They jog back and forth, filling the gym with the sounds of panting, shouting, and their shoes squeaking against the floors, as Drake's "Nonstop" plays in the background.

Ashley licks her lips as her eyes admire the half-naked men in front of her, saying, "Good thing I went for this internship."

"Don't you have a girlfriend?," I laugh as I furrow my brows at the sight of her mouth hanging open.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean I can't swing this way," she says, motioning to the team that has completed their workout and has taken a seat at the far end of the gym. "Kidding"

"Whatever," I laugh. "Help me with these."

Ashley helps me with the guys' towels and water bottles. When we hand them out to the team, they thank us quickly, catching their breath as sweat beads stream down their toned bodies. When I meet Jae, he gratefully takes the towel from my hands and smiles at me. I see him scrunch up his face in pain as he rubs his left shoulder, his features clearly displaying pain.

"Miller," my gaze shifts to Coach Hale, who motions me to approach him quietly. "Do you see it as well?"

"Foster?"

"Yes," he says, his gaze moving from me to Jae. "He's had some tough practises, and I admire his determination and courage, but..."

I take a breath and shake my head as I anticipate the words that will come out of his mouth. I glance at my Apple Watch to see when practice is over and noticing it ends soon. I look up to see Ashley on the sidelines with James and Elijah before returning my attention to Coach.

"And now you want me to..." When I look at Coach, he gives me pleading eyes. I watch as his bottom lips jut out to add to the begging as I look blankly at him.

As I watch Coach contain his enthusiasm while hopping on his toes, I sigh and adjust my quarter zip. "I appreciate it, Miller."

As I make my way to the training room, I yell "Foster" loud enough for him to hear. I hear the team teasing him and yelling "ooo" across the gym from behind me. Jae follows me further into the facility as I swing the door open and step inside.

"Sit," I say, motioning him to a treatment table. Before approaching him, I walk to the corner and collect a few supplies for his shoulder. I catch him lowering his head, as if to conceal the pain in his shoulder.

I can tell he forces himself to extremes during each practise, which has a negative impact on his shoulder. He's one of our team's D1 athletes, and he's trying to lead by example, but he's not very good at hiding his stress and tension.

"Up," I say, grabbing the hem of his shirt and pulling it over his head. Before assessing him, I toss his clothing to the other side of the table.

"Jae..." I tell, causing him to lift his eyes through his lashes. As if he's embarrassed by the injury, he focuses his attention down. I raise my head, taking a deep breath, slightly frustrated by his stubbornness.