56. thank you

TW: SELF HARM/SUICIDE, EATING DISORDER [MENTIONS OF RAPE AND SEXUAL ASSAULT]

(WARNING TO ALL READERS THAT THERE IS MATURE CONTENT AHEAD!! CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!)

Jae's pov

I take a seat again, still holding Ellie's hand as she lies expressionless in her bed. My heart rate quickens with overwhelming adrenaline as I pull my chair impossibly closer after hearing her words.

"I'm falling in love with you"

That's what I need to know in order to give her everything I have. To give all of my love, and even my life if necessary, because she is deserving of every ounce of my heart. I don't care if I get hurt or if she drives me any further away; I'll do anything to make her happy again and see her real smile return to her features, her joy lighting up her face once more.

After a few moments of silence, Ellie says, "I was listening." I find her looking at the machines that surround her as I lift my eyes. "To all of you guys, but mainly your voice," she confesses, and my heart stops beating when I see her eyes glisten with sincerity.

"I'm glad you were," I say, rubbing her knuckles as I turn to face the young nurse entering. I note her name tag Bella and her eyes rising from the chart to look at me, which I quickly dismiss and turn my attention to Ellie, who is blinking slowly to stay awake.

"It's good to see you awake, Ms.Miller," Bella says when she approaches her to take a closer look at the IV and heart rate. "Could you please step out of the room for a moment so that I can talk with her?" My body tenses as she lifts her head, and I look at Ellie, who tightens her grip on my hand. I give her a knowing nod, seeing her fear in her widening eyes.

"I'm staying," I reply, furrowing my brows in response to Bella's attempt to hide her rolling eyes. I look down at Ellie, who has barely opened her eyes, and she encourages me to stay in the room with her longer. I look up to see Bella frantically looking away from me as I catch her checking me out, and I'm annoyed that she's doing it so casually in front of Ellie, who is sick.

"What's your relationship with her?" Bella lifts an eyebrow, and my breath catches in my throat as I return my gaze to Ellie, who remains patiently between us. I pause, unsure what to say, before I roll my eyes and return my focus to Bella, realizing I'm wasting time.

"My future wife," I shrug, Ellie's grip on my fingers tightening in response. I smile as I watch Bella's face fade before she returns to Ellie's body, which irritates me because she's clearly not doing her job.

"Where's the ring?"

"We don't need one," I scoff, shaking my head as I grin at Ellie, who, when I see her rolling her eyes, covers her laugh weakly. "Not yet, at least," I say as I raise my eyes to the ceiling, Ellie's attention fixed on me. My smile widens when I consider the thought before returning my gaze to Ellie, who narrows her eyes and returns her gaze to Bella.

"It's confidential information that she can only share with me. It's up to Ms.Miller, if she's willing to have you present," Bella sighs and frantically returns her attention to the document in her hands, as if she needs an excuse to avoid my and Ellie's gazes. Ellie shakes her head to cover the slight smile on her lips before her face turns serious and grim as I blow her a kiss.

"Jae," Ellie says, and I turn to see her urgently looking me in the eyes, followed by the door. I walk out with a sheepish grin on my face and place a gentle kiss on her forehead, knowing she needs her room and privacy. I'm reluctant because I don't trust Bella to be alone with her, but I love Ellie far too much to retaliate and go against her wishes.